• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nirklas

Different uses for script-bytecode...

This topic is 5760 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Would it be a good idea to use bytecode for ones scriptingsystem to send data over the network, ie, client/server-communication. ...and then just running the chunk of data through the VM to update the states on the current machine? I can think of other uses as well, why not let a separate AI-thread (or what ever) communicate state-changes to the engine using just bytecode. How does it sound to you? am I overlooking something? other possibilitites? /Niklas Andersson

Advertisement
No thoughts at all?

Has it been done? Would it compilcate matters more than it would help?

oh, well *bump*

/Niklas

No thoughts at all?

Has it been done? Would it compilcate matters more than it would help?

oh, well *bump*

/Niklas

I think I''ll bump this one last time...

I really want to believe that someone else have had thoughts about this kind of ...thing

/Niklas

Tell you what, I''ll play a game on that engine with you, and I''ll bet you a million I''ll win. Depending on how powerful your scripting system is I could do anything from sending your game character into outer space to running "format C:".

Running any kinda crap you pick up from a network socket through a VM parsing it as instructions is what most security experts spend all their time making sure they can avoid doing. And what about memory accessing? Are you sure things will be in exactly the same places on the receiver end as on the sender end? This classifies as one of those remarkably bad ideas...

What do you have to win on the idea anyway? You''d just send more data than necessary over a network socket.

First of all the scripting-system would not have privileges to format c: or anything else that don''t have anything to do with the game engine for that matter.

Second, at some point you will just have to trust the data recieved to be "correct", that goes for any kind of network communication. Every kind of error- / correctness-checking you can do on "normal" recieved data you can do on the recieved bytecode. And to put it the other way aroud, if you could send fake bytecode to put my game character in outer space, I can''t see that it would be any harder sending fake data in a "normal" network comunication scenario.
If the VM is stable I actually think my approach is safer than sending raw data, since the updates would not be written directly to memory

The same goes for for the memory issue. It would be plain silly to send pure memoryadresses, you don''t have to when you send data the more conventional way, so you would I need to do it when sending bytecode?

The advantage with sending bytecode as I see it is that the updating of the worldstate could be kept to one single codepath.

/Niklas

This is a good idea. What you have is a portable RPC module and it makes thing very element because things can act as if things are running on the client but they really are done somewhere else. Passing the actual code string is also interesting, but it depends on how you script works.

Stary :
In a client/server environment for a game, the client knows which object it can act upon and the server of course has all the objects.

So if the client sais ( objectA.ShootGun ) the server will have no problem whatsoever to find objectA.

The issue that could write a tool to send anything to the server is the same as if you were just having a special client/server command language.

[edited by - Gorg on February 13, 2003 1:10:31 PM]

quote:
Original post by Nirklas
First of all the scripting-system would not have privileges to format c: or anything else that don''t have anything to do with the game engine for that matter.

I bet you my finger that any skilled "cracker" could find a loophole to exploit your system in a day or two.

quote:
Second, at some point you will just have to trust the data recieved to be "correct", that goes for any kind of network communication.

Ouch! You really think so? You seriously need to go and take a class on network programming in the real world then - the first rule of any network programming is: Never assume that the data you receive is anything but malicious.

quote:
Every kind of error- / correctness-checking you can do on "normal" recieved data you can do on the recieved bytecode.

Then your scripting engine is so limited I can''t imagine. You can check that normal data is within the values but you can never ever check that a program code will give results that you expect. Unless your scripting language is not even Turing-equivalent, in which case it''s really not even a programming language.

If you''d go a course on computer science you''d learn about the concept of undecidability. Undecidability means that it''s theoreticly impossible to create an algorithm that would solve the question by answering "yes" or "no" even given any finite amount of time. Determining if a given algorithm will ever stop is one such problem - which makes it trivial to show that determining whether or not an algorithm will both stop and respond within any given range.

quote:
And to put it the other way aroud, if you could send fake bytecode to put my game character in outer space, I can''t see that it would be any harder sending fake data in a "normal" network comunication scenario.

Consider the following simple "pong" style network protocol:

- I receive a packet. The packet contains how much you''ve moved your pad up or down.
- I check that the data you sent me is within a set limit so that you''re not cheating.
- I move your pad in my game as well and send you my packet.

It''s impossible for me to move your pad in the above scenario, but given a stream of bytecode doing "stuff" to "update the world state" of my pong engine, i''m quite sure I could glue your pad in the lower right corner of the screen.

quote:
If the VM is stable I actually think my approach is safer than sending raw data, since the updates would not be written directly to memory

No, so where do they go, onto disk? Actually, if I receive a normal network packet it ends up where I say it should go, not wherever itself wants to be...

quote:
The advantage with sending bytecode as I see it is that the updating of the worldstate could be kept to one single codepath.

What exactly do you mean by what? Instead of:
- I get data and store it where I want it.

you want:
- I get data and run it through my scripting engine which does undefined "stuff".

I don''t see the advantage here really.

quote:

I bet you my finger that any skilled "cracker" could find a loophole to exploit your system in a day or two.

You know why activex has loopholes? Because there are functions to give low-level access the machines.

If you build your VM has a sandbox that has only access to objects in the game then you cannot go and grab things off the machine.

Though it does not stop them from writing a trainer. And the trainer is not more easier or harder to write than the raw data way.

In your Pong example. You mention that when you receive the data and then do some checking. The VM byte code represents commands to do. The server can still check if those commands are valid within the context of the application. So If the client sends

me.Move( 100, 100 )

but the maximum a paddle can move per update is 5 units, then the server side Move function will do the check to see if it the calls fits the requirements or not.

[edited by - Gorg on February 13, 2003 1:50:02 PM]

quote:
Original post by Gorg

You know why activex has loopholes? Because there are functions to access the machines.

If you build your VM has a sandbox that has only access to objects in the game then you cannot go and grab things off the machine.

Though it does not stop them from writing a trainer. And the trainer is not more easier or harder to write than the raw data way.
[...]

The problem with the scripting language idea is that it is more complex. The more complex something is, the easier it is for bugs to be introduced. The more bugs there are, the easier it is to abuse. If you use a static array somewhere in your VM and you don't do bounds checking every time you access it(among other checks), you could easily end up with a buffer overflow, or some other 'simple exploit'. The problem exists even if you don't use your scripting language for the network protocol, but its harder to exploit because the hacker will have to make a level with the bad script and get people to run it. If it's run automatically from the network, he/she can just join a game and send the malicious code across the internet and he now has total control over their PC and can do whatever he wants including running aritrary code.

[edited by - Extrarius on February 13, 2003 1:54:54 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!