• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended FOV

This topic is 5579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello people :D In my engine, i have the objects scaled as one unit = one meter. I know the scaling is fine, but even tho the perspective doesn''t look that bad to me, the objects appear thinner than they should. So i would like to ask the question that has perhaps been brought up many times (but last time i checked, searching on the gamedev forums was disabled!): What FOV do you recommend for an FPS. This is in OpenGL, so i will be setting the yFov with gluPerspective. Also what do Quake games use? what do you guys prefer? I like the perspective in Quake 2, but some demos have a REALLY narrow fov which i find rather annoying, it feels like if you were 5'' in front of the camera.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

Advertisement
i find 90 degrees a bit freaky. though it seems like QUake3 uses 90 (using cg_fov variable), when i use 90 for gluPerspective, its too.. weird. 45 seems nice and believeable. but is there a sweet value or shud it really be based on a certain magic formula?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think that 45 degrees (pi/4 in radians) is WAY TOO small...
In real life you certainly have bigger fov that 45 degrees!
90 degrees is fine , always

Well there is a formula in the Red book I belive. But i'd just stick with PI/4 :-D

Actually we don't have much wider FOV than 45 Were preditory animals so we need a narrow FOV than say a Horse that has a FOV a little greater than 180.

[edited by - CallMeNeo8Ball on February 7, 2003 12:48:59 PM]

its true 45 is far smaller than the humans natural FOV. but it doesnt feel like the perspective calculations in pc graphics follow that of the human eye. even looking at a 90 degree or even 120 degree FOV application makes u feel it odd. the distortion is just too noticeable to be normal. 45 could be somewhere near a nice value where it looks just ''right''.

Use 45 in gluPerspective, and it gives you a 90 degree view (45 left + 45 right). That''s standard. Although some games tweak it a bit depending on how it feels. 85 (42.5) is the default in Unreal Tournament 2003.

for realism.
90degrees is good if your face is about 20cm away from the monitor
if youre sitting further away then the fov will need to be smaller

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!