Visual Basic

Started by
7 comments, last by Dreddnafious Maelstrom 21 years, 2 months ago
I would like to make video games in Visual Basic 6.0 As i have a sound basic/intermediate understanding of the language (I have written a few tutorials: www.ripnet-uk.com). Any websites to point me in the right direction? Thanx Redhotdragon
Advertisement
www.learnc++.com

-----
Losec
-----
I am no expert, just a beginner, but if you''re stuck on making games in VB, I''d say don''t use VB 6.0, use .NET. It seems, from what I''ve used of both versions (which isn''t all THAT much), that .NET is much, much better.

as for resources, sorry...
--------------In the immortal words of a MST3K ape: "MAYONAAAASE"
do a google for it.

there are a lot of sites out there for it.

good luck.

yeah, the best out there is http://www.directx4vb.com
the author hangs out here a bit also.

if you want to make a game and not an engine, try
http://www.truevision3d.com

best of luck

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of Giants"

Sir Isaac Newton
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
VB SUCKS
I think what he want to express is the disadvantage of VB6....
da OLE/OCX problem, it may screw your computer if you didn''t manage them well.

If you learnt VB and want to some advanced programming, og and get VB.net, then your program only requires the .NET framework, no more "MSVBVM.DLL is missing". OCX Errors.

For size reason, a Basic programmer may want to try PowerBasic or PureBasic out, they''re fantastic and tiny compilers.
MicroMan, MicroJackson.....
Well, VB isn''t too bad for programming games in. I know of at least one that''s excellent, called Rox. In fact, it''s one of the best finished puzzle games out there. Got it''s own map editor and everything.

Also, I''m writing a 3D map editor in VB (I know I''m gonna have to learn MFC some day ), and that''s going very well at the moment. It''s called DarkVertex, check the sig. The speed issues surrounding VB are getting better. I''m not 100% about this, but I think that the difference in program speed between a program written in VC++.NET and one written VB.NET is about 5%. VB compiler optimization is a lot better than it used to be.

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
Another VB game engine:
www.revolution3d.net
Not as many features as TV3D, but at least it works, which is more than can be said for much of TV3D...
Provides, MS3D ASCII, MD2, and 3DS support with skeletal animation for all of them, and for any other type of mesh that you create. Supports Half Life BSP, Heightmapped terrain(quadtree culling) with multiple textures generated realtime. ALso allows you to control texture stages and things. Shadow volumes are available. In addition, it provides an interface for input(via DirectInput).
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
TV works, sharpy. and i dont use either so i really couldnt care less. just thought id point out the pathos of your shameless plug.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement