• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Direct Draw's future

This topic is 5492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i was just wondering about ddraw. are there parts of ddraw that will always have to be supported, like blit. doesn''t d3d need this sort of thing too. i guess im asking if it is going to all of a sudden not be supported by new cards. do the card manufacturers still have to support it?

Advertisement
IMHO:

(1)

You would be wise to learn a 3D API ( OpenGL or DirectX ). Over time fewer and fewer 2D titles are going to be developed and the expectations of gamers ( the people who play the games ) are going to exceeded what can be provided by 2D games.

(2)

A central design principle of COM ( the Component Object Model ) and therefore DirectX is that of older applications not being broken by newer versions. What I am trying to say is that with beginning with DX 8, there was nothing new added to Direct Draw, and also with DX9, there was nothing new added to Direct Draw. Yet I can still use the DX9 SDK with my older code that uses Direct Draw and the DX7 interfaces and it still works. In essence DX9 SDK is backward compatible with DX8 and DX7. Again this is one of the central design principles of COM. You can make and add new functionality but you must continue to support and provide any existing services.

(3)

Direct Draw and 2D game programming is a good place to start for those just getting into game programming. Kind of along the lines of start simple and continue to build upon what you have learned. Said another way newbies, hobbiests, and independendent game developers are going to be far more successful at starting off programming an asteroids clone than a quake III clone ( engines inclusive ).

(4)

You can create "psuedo" 3D games without some of the complexities of true 3D programming with Direct Draw. In essence what you do here is use a 3D modeller to create the illusion of 3D objects in your game, but in reality there just plain 2D sprites with x and y coordinates, frames, etc. etc.

(5)

Considering Pocket PCs and mobile devices. These are probably not going to have 64 MB 3D accelerators anytime soon. So 2D and psuedo 3D tricks will dominate and be some of the better games on these platforms.

- J

• Advertisement