brush based editor, or something better??

Started by
18 comments, last by Dreddnafious Maelstrom 21 years, 2 months ago
Hey insanity , and don''t forget we where supposed to look dark vertex in action b4 a few months . However , if ur on a redesign phase just keep up , it''s looking cool .
Thank you all :)
Advertisement
Joe, thanks again. I'll have a "still in progress" version in the next two weeks, I promise.

Bas, I just implemented grids again, and I still couldn't find a better system than the crappy one I was using before. All I'm doing is checking the window's state, deciding whether to create a grid in the x = 0, y = 0 or z = 0 plane, then just creating a grid around the user's current position. I do a little math to ensure that the grid doesn't move just with the user, then I just render it. I'm still doing it every frame. If you've thought up a better system, I'd love to hear it...

By the way, Bas, if it isn't too much trouble, could you email me those MFC/OpenGL documents? The programming world is moving away from C (which has been my primary language since I learnt it about three or four years ago), and towards C++ and MFC. I'm going to have to learn those two sometime, so I might as well start now . I'm going looking for some C++ and MFC books this week or next, any suggestions?

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on February 9, 2003 9:03:57 PM]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
get
Programming Windows with MFC Second Edition
from Jeff Prosise

the best mfc book i could find i use it as a references

www.codeproject.com
www.codeguru.com

those sites have fantastic code samples to look at

ill send you the files later i need to go now cause we get OIL before bush invades iraq *G*

maybe you want to have a look at the creating 3d tools tut on gamedev thats what i have used to get started with mfc

as long as you use the class wizzard you shouldn t have a problem with control handling

about the grid

i fucking hate the grid what i am doing is get the scroll pos 0-<2^16/2
doesn t work for high values somehow

then i get the width/2 of the view
subtract it from the scroll possitions and then check the result

16 is grid space
d=min.x/16-(int)(min.x/16);
nx=(int)(min.x/16);
if(d>=0.5)
nx++;

once you have got that for Y as well you get the distance between screen center of the view and nx / ny
now check whether it is greater than >0 and < screenwidth/screenheight

and now render

you can use this procedure to perform this snap to grid feature as well but you need to take care of the zoom modi

if there s mistake in my theory please point it out i thought about this the entire day
til now i have fixed all the problems mfc caused when using opengl
slow progress but there s nothing worse than a bug right at the beginning that ruins all the effort you put into your app
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
by the way , insanity and basior . In your editors , is zooming smooooth or there are 8 zoom modes for example ?
Well, in DarkVertex, there are five zoom modes, which you switch between using a window menu (I''d use the mouse wheel, but there''s just no support for it).

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
if you use progressiv zoom you will get trouble with your grid it looks ugly
download worldcraft and test it hehe
What do you mean ? I thought worldcraft did not perform smooth zooming . I think there is a limited number of zoom modes available . (unless i am missing an option wich i could enable or disable) .
@ Basiror, thanks for the offer, let me work on it a bit so im not one of THOSE people, hehe.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
I have WorldCraft, and it uses the mouse wheel to smooth-zoom. It''s a good system, but I can''t use it, because VB doesn''t support the mouse wheel. Anyway, I designed the grid so it wouldn''t look too bad zoomed...

Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]
insanity did you get the files?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement