Windows Mouse Messages and Y-axis rotation...

Started by
5 comments, last by adymlincoln 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, I am busting my brains trying to figure out a simple way to rotate my 3D world in the x-axis...I''m trying to use the built in Windows mouse messages ( WM_MOUSEMOVE ) to determine which way to rotate my world on the Y-Axis...basically to turn either right of left on the screen. First Attempt : Grab the mouse x,y during a WM_MOUSEMOVE event and compare it to the previous x coordinate...If new-x > prev-x then move one way, otherwise move the other...Annnnn! It only works part of the time... Second Attempt : When the window gets created, calculate the half-way point, screen-width / 2. Then during a WM_MOUSEMOVE event, compare new-x to half-way x, if greater move one way, otherwise move the other...Results : Better, but extremly choppy... Question : how can I get a smooth turn (like Quake) without using DirectInput...Can this even be accomplished using standard Windows messaging/functions? thx in advance... adym
Advertisement
You could try calling GetCursorPos() each frame and calculating the delta motion. It should be much smoother than using the message handler.
Hi,

I''m doing it a bit differently (my leftbutton has to be down to rotate)but it works fine. I found that the actual function to do the rotations needs to be called from winmain or glDrawscene- ie not winproc- its very slow from there.

in winproc:

case WM_LBUTTONDOWN: { //you could use mousemove or whatever
mbuttons = (int)wParam;
return 0;
}

in winmain:

if ((active && !DrawGLScene()) || keys[VK_ESCAPE]) done=TRUE;
else {
SwapBuffers(hDC);
ProcessKeyboard();
if (mbuttons & MK_LBUTTON) processMouse2();//you could have a mouse switch
}

and then the function (basically from gametutorial #5)

void processMouse2(){
POINT mousePos;
int middleX = SCREEN_WIDTH/2;
int middleY = SCREEN_HEIGHT/2;
GetCursorPos(&mousePos);
SetCursorPos(middleX, middleY); if( (mousePos.x == middleX) && (mousePos.y == middleY) ) return;
roty+= (float)( middleX - mousePos.x )/250.0f;
rotx-= (float)( middleY - mousePos.y )/250.0f;
}

I haven''t figured out how to hide the cursor yet- its very distracting! Also, those 250.0f numbers- I bet they will vary from system to ssytem....he used 1000 in the tutorial.

Anyway, that how I''m doing it for now.

To hide the cursor, use the ShowCursor function. It takes a BOOL show - TRUE to make the cursor visible and FALSE to hide it. (Actually, passing TRUE increments a counter and FALSE decrements the counter, and when its >= 0 the cursor is visible. That means if you pass FALSE to it twice, you will have to give it TRUE twice to make it show the cursor.)

Edit: The function returns an int that is the value of the counter, so you could do something like while(ShowCursor(TRUE) < 0); to force the cursor to be displayed, and while(ShowCursor(FALSE) >= 0); to make sure its not displayed.

[edited by - Extrarius on February 8, 2003 1:36:23 AM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Dave Hunt & Cat_B...Thx,

I think I see what I''m missing...One is the GetCursorPos(), but the real important one is the SetCursorPos()...By setting the cursor back to the middle of the screen, it always starts from the same spot...

adym
Hey thank you Extrarious! Works like a charm
Thx everyone...This is working great. I was content with a simple rotation around the Y-axis, but looking at the code supplied I expanded it to include the X-axis as well...

Next stop collisions...

adym

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement