• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about data structures

This topic is 5494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question about the use of data structures in game programming. I have taken a few classes on data structures (i.e. linked lists, stacks, queues, trees), and understand how they work and can immplement them. But I don''t quite understand how you would use them in game programming. Are they for things like bitmaps, units, things you can pick up, etc.? How are they more beneficial to use in game programming? Thanks.

Advertisement
A basic structure (or class) is a block which can contain several attributes. For example, a 3d vector has 3 attributes so you group x, y and z into one structure (or class).

Constructs such as lists, vectors, etc. are ways to organize information, which is essential. In Game Programming, you will need to keep track of items, players, foes and everything else.

I''m not sure I can see what you''re asking, but if you yet don''t see the value of the knowledge you have gained, you will do as soon as you start making a game.

• Advertisement