• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visual basic: Who sent that packet?

This topic is 5582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m programming something in VB. It has a server and a client, which will have to communicate using UDP packets. Normally, you can use socket.RemoteHostIP to get the remotehost IP and socket.RemotePort to get the remote port. But this doesn''t work with UDP packets. How can I get who sent the packet using UDP? 10x...

Advertisement
UDP doesnt have any extra packaging like TCP (ie. error checking, making sure each packet reaches target). So your best bet is to program an extra layer of network code to add the needed information in.

I may be wrong, its been ages since i messed with network code.

The UDP portion of Winsock component provided with Visual Basic, on recieving data, sets its remote address to that of the sender So its at least good to check this for data spoofing whether you add your own custom message header.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!