• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game programming in 24 hours

This topic is 5488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I just got a book called Game programming in 24 hours anyone who wants to learn should get it it''s ace.

Advertisement
True. You can hardly learn most of the syntax in 24 hours...let alone all of game programming. But, i''m sure it''s a good book.

Moose

I don''t think any of the books that say "24 hours" or "21 days" are really serious about you learning their material properly in that amount of time. It''s just a marketing gimmick.

Actually, the 21 days books are serious. And the 24 hours means 24 hours of actually working on it, not 24 hours from when you start working on it.

-- Exitus Acta Probat --

No way they''re serious. Nobody could claim that he learned all the material in a programming book thoroughly in 24 (even non-consecutive) hours.

I suppose the 21 days books are a little more realistic, but really each "day" or "hour" is just a chapter that needs to be learned in whatever amount of time it takes. I doubt that many people stick to the schedule proposed by these books.

Moose: Game programming doesn''t really have a ''syntax'', it is probably assumed that you already know a programming language before learning game programming.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Those books refer to the amount of time it would take you to cover each chapter in the book.

Only an idiotic moron would assume that anyone could make the next mega-blockbuster hit in 21 days.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672324253/qid=1044848923/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4923516-4328954?v=glance&s=books

How''s that for C++ learning time??

"Welcome to ''Teach yourself C++ in 21 seconds'', and thank you for your purchase. Let''s get started. Please connect the neuro-synaptic interface that came with your book to your computer''s USB port. The software will install automatically. Attach the interface to your brain, and click initialize . Now, select the directory entitled \C++ programming genius , relax, and click upload . WARNING: should you have uploaded C:\windows by accident, then seek medical help immediately !"

Ive been reading Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days, and ive been reading the book for half a year. It helps if you read for then a chapter a month i guess.

quote:
Original post by IFooBar
I do not believe that it is possible to learn game programming in 24 hours.....maybe 24 months to get pretty good at it.

Too true. I've seen the book, just out of curiousity because of its ambitious title, and found that it didn't actually teach you how to write a game per se , but instead taught you how to piece together existing bits to make up a game - a very big difference to actual game programming.

It's a raw beginners course in game programming.

[edited by - mathematix on February 9, 2003 12:26:32 AM]

"Learn COBOL in 24 hours"

That''s the book we had last semester.

God, I WISH we could''ve gotten over this crap in 24 hours. God...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well when I first started out with VC6, it took me more than 24 hours to even get something to compile without errors.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve actually almost finished that book... it really isn''t too bad. Yeah, it''s really basic, but a pretty good jumping-off point. The game engine developed through the course of the book is not the most optimized, but that''s the point... learn from something simple then add your own touches.

Now I''ll admit I''m no pro game developer. Truthfully I''m just trying to get started (I say trying because school, work, and planning a wedding take up most of my time so I can''t get any programming done!!!). But I have been programming for quite some time so if that makes my opinion any more credible...

I would reccommend this book to people looking to get started in game programming. If you''ve never seen a game engine before, this will give you a good first step. If nothing else it should give you some inspiration.

I have the Teach yourself DirectX7 in 24 hours book, (translated) and it really sucks I think... I really wouldn''t go for it... but I haven''t read yours but I expect the series are pretty much the same

Hidden
Actually it means there are 21 or 24 lessons that are 1 hour long, the content is very good in most of those books.

• Advertisement