dDraw or d3d

Started by
5 comments, last by haimon15 21 years, 2 months ago
hi, i want to start building a simple 2d game and i got confused with all the tutorials out there. most of them starting with d3d and some only with ddraw (SDK)? help me, PLEASE, should i start with d3d for 2d game or stick to ddraw and keep it simple (i use C++.NET & dx8.1 SDK)? thank you.
Advertisement
Start with DDraw.
It''s complicated enough already.
isn''t there some things in d3d that i need or ddraw is enough?
can anybody recommend a good and simple tutorial for ddraw and for sprites?

thanx!
quote:Original post by haimon15
isn''t there some things in d3d that i need or ddraw is enough?
DirectDraw is enough for simple games. There were great games in the past done in DirectDraw.

My advice is always to ignore the "2D vs. 3D" argument and think in terms of "API to talk to old cards vs. API to talk to new cards".

Assuming you have a newer card, the newer API is the way to go. Ignore the letters 3 and D in the name - they''re a red herring. Even if you are drawing 1D points, D3D is more closely aligned with the way current cards work.

If you have an older card, or want to support older cards, then go with DirectDraw.

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
thank u !
And well, Direct3D isn''t really Direct3D anymore, since DirectX8.0, it''s DirectXGraphics
Go with it, since even on most older cards it will give you the advantages of hardware scaling and alphablending. And on new cards, you will have transformations and lighting in hardware.

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement