• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil165

Newbie needs help with 2d C engine

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m a computer science student at Stony Brook university and have been studying the basis of programming as well as computers. Descreet mathematics that sort of thing anyway: I know some java and am learning C now (because I heard it''s the best way into C++), and am looking for some C 2D engine tutorials that will help me out. I''ve done some complex 2D tile engines in Flash, which is similar to Java in a way, but am not sure if there''s a better approch to this in C.

Advertisement
Well, start out with a simple one, like a non-scrolling one.
This means, stay in 1 area all the time till you change map(like pacman). Learn how to work with arrays and how to make them represent a map.

Nothing and all, by some meaning, no difference

If you want to know how to use graphics for your engine, I would recommend SDL. It is a portable 2D C library that is very easy to learn and use. A good set of tutorials are at Cone3D that focus on SDL with games. There is also a graphics library out there called Allegro that is quite similar to SDL. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them.

anybody know any good PLAIN C compilers out there. I used miricle C but it seems very buggy at times. I installed borland C Builder but am a little overwhelmed. I wanna do alot of C before I begin C++, besides im taking a class on it this summer.

Is there anything out there built just for C? Or maybe something not as overwhelming as Cbuilder 6 enterprise.

Is visual C++ a little better for just C than Borlands?

www.delorie.com/djgpp << Djgpp
This is buggy with me

what does run perfectly and has everything I need
www.mingw.org << Mingw32

or, you can download DevC at www.bloodshed.com << check the site..

plain C = empty you know
the stuff above containes all the includes you need to build something

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t see any need to learn C before C++. . .

quote:
Original post by Phil165
anybody know any good PLAIN C compilers out there. Is there anything out there built just for C?

lccwin32 - http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32/

Straight C compiler/ide/debugger for Windows. The download is less than 5 Mb. The UI has a few rough spots but is still very useable. The inline assembly uses AT&T syntax rather than Intel syntax. Only half of SEH is implemented - try/except but no finally. It supports the declspec(naked) calling convention and the extensions support operator and function overloading ala C++. It''s also free as in beer.

me neither since C++ IS C with some extra capabilities as far as I know... but the C / C++ story is a bit weird if you ask me...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!