Saving screenshot to disk?

Started by
17 comments, last by Win Elchtest 21 years, 1 month ago
temp = Data[index];Data[index] = Data[index+2];Data[index+2] = temp;

I love it how people use temporary values to do swaps...
Try this instead sometime:

Data[index] ^= Data[index+2];Data[index+2] ^= Data[index];Data[index] ^= Data[index+2];

Voila! No temp variable. (I think I did that right)

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg."

- Bjarne Stroustrup

Realm Games Company
"I once thought I was wrong, but then I was mistaken." - A4
Advertisement
Hm. 3 assigns and an overhead-less 4-byte temp versus three XOR-assigns. You have any time-trials to show that your method is dazzlingly faster than mine?

edit : oh, and pardon me for overlooking the additional ADD and 2 pointer lookups that your method includes. Guess you really are just too clever for me. I bow down before you...

edit2 : by the way, your website link appears to be broken.

[edited by - zealouselixir on March 1, 2003 1:35:34 PM]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

I''m not sure if it is faster, but if you are pressed for memory, it does beat your method there.

hmm I musta made a typo in my link...(fixing)
Pressed for memory? That''s about the shittiest excuse I''ve ever heard for someone not admitting they were wrong...

If you can''t afford and extra byte of memory(or 4, not sure how it ends up), then you''ve got bigger things to worry about!
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Yeah, that was actually a mistake on my part. Turns out it's just one byte (though it may well wind up as 32 bits on the stack to help out the processor).

[edited by - zealouselixir on March 1, 2003 2:25:42 PM]

Yes, I may be wrong, but I did show you a neat method... :D

(do it out on pen and paper to see the bits work their swapping magic)

and I correct the link my sig

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg."

- Bjarne Stroustrup

Realm Games Company
interesting concept, but i think it doesn't work. it's just too late now here to think about it calm (besided i had a birthday party some hours before...)

i write on this again
[you all wanted this posting, didn't you?]

[edited by - Win Elchtest on March 1, 2003 7:12:48 PM]
http://www.quake.de
Ready4Dis: Well... glReadPixels are ALOT slower than rendering directly to the texture If you look through the slides on the link you''ll see that''s the second slowest method (they suggest 5-6 methods I think).

Then saving to a file, well you can''t get away from that now can you?

"No lies of sugar can sweeten the sournes of reality"

}+TITANIUM+{ A.K.A. DXnewbie[onMIRC]
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement