• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Igilima

My PC freezes up on m_pd3dDevice->Present( ) :o(

This topic is 5671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been writing some basic programs based on the d3dapp framework. I wrote one that draws a basic checkerboard with a vertex buffer and a couple index buffers. I just rewrote my code so that I could generate vertex and index arrays at runtime with configurable sizes. I did run into some trouble with that but I think I have tracked down all of the bugs associated with variable array sizes. Anyway, my program runs fine and renders a sprite and text fine until I create a board object. Then it will go through the render code once and hang on Present() in the d3dapp.cpp code as I step through it. Unfortunately, this hangs the entire PC with no way find out what is going on. I end up having to reset the machine (Windows XP). Anyone know what I could be doing that could be causing Present() to hang the entire OS up so badly? I suppose I could still be doing something that to overwrite memory somewhere but if I just comment out the call to DrawIndexedPrimitive() then it runs fine. [edited by - Igilima on February 8, 2003 3:02:12 PM]

Advertisement
Hmm, the problem seems to be when I changed to D3DFMT_INDEX32 in my CreateIndexBuffer() call.

Either that format is not valid or my card or the device that I created on that card (Mobility Radeon 7500) doesn''t support it. :o(

Ah well, at least I found the culprit.

As far as I know, only the Radeon 8500 and higher support 32-bit indices. (and no, the GeForce4 doesn''t support them either as far as I know) Luckily, this is not a problem most of the time, as you can get by just fine with 16 bit index buffers.

- JQ
#define NULL 1

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!