What do i need?

Started by
7 comments, last by BlackDark 21 years, 2 months ago
I am a visual basic computer programmer. I want to know every book and software that i would need to creat a massive online multiplayer game with astonishing graphics and sound. Such graphics qualities as HALO: Combat evolved. OR is it even possible for a single person to do this? If it is not possible for just one person to do this tell me, but still tell me what books and software i need. I thank you so so much for helping me and i look foward to hearing a reply.
Advertisement
I supposed it is possible for a single person to create a game the quality of Halo all by himself. That person would be the son of God. Obviously, your not him so no it isn''t. While I don''t have any recommendations for books, I suggest you look in the For Beginners section under Resources at this website.

Also you will probably want to learn a language more powerful than BASIC (like C/C++). If so, I recommend the book Game Programming All-In-One while not a master of any 1 thing, it''s a jack of all trades that will get you started on your way by creating a clone of the classic Breakout as your final project.

With that, I hand the torch to someone much wiser than me to help you out. Seeing as I''m only upto page four hundred something in that book
You should tone down your expectations or you will become extremely frustrated and disappointed. If you want to make 3D games, learn C++. Look in the Books & Software section of this site for good programming book reviews.
First off, it is not possible for a single person to make a game up to the visual quality of Halo. For big commercial games like that, they have teams of 20 experience people or more working for years. But there are a few things you can do

1. As far as a start on astonishing graphics goes:
I would get a hold of a C++ compiler (I use Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0), pick up "C++ for Dummies" and read it all the way through and make sure you completely understand it. Then go and read a good amount of the tutorials on nehe.gamedev.net.

2. As far as astonishing sound:
Sound for games is usually recorded in a studio (for the effects) or performed by professional musicians (for the music). I don''t think their''s much you can do here, but learn how to load sound files and play them in your game. "OpenGL Game Programming", along with having some good OpenGL information, has a good section on using DirectSound.

3. As far as an online multiplayer game goes:
Once you have completed all my previous suggestions, go pick up "The Game Developer''s Guide to Multiplayer Games". Its a very good read for making massively multiplayer online games.

Me and some friends are trying to accomplish this same feat you are, and I believe it can be done, but not alone.

Get to learning C++ and good luck!

www.nzcal.com/hp/realmgames
-------------------Realm Games Company
Thanks for your advice i do how ever I belive that visual Basic is a great game programming language and many underestimated its power. I can use directX with visual basic and have plenty of power. Visual basic is looked apon as an application based language but many fail to realize its simplicity and power. Read Visual Basic Game Program with DirectX by Jonathan S. Harbour. I am also a musician and have been one for years. i will check out those books and i am greatly thankfull for your advice. Is there someone else that can tell me what books i need for visual basic? thank you
True, you can do some gaming with it, look at the DX SDK. But there is a reason why Bungee was bought by Microsoft... And they surely weren''t 1 person. So if you want to actually finish this game you''re dreaming off, and not have your grandchildren do the job, then you might want to cut down the expectations or get a team together.
Good luck anyway
quote:Original post by BlackDark
I want to know every book and software that i would need to creat a massive online multiplayer game with astonishing graphics and sound. Such graphics qualities as HALO: Combat evolved.

I remember when I thought that way. Man, was I stupid.
Hi BlackDark,

I know this isn''t going to sound very helpful, but considering what you are trying to accomplish I thought I would say this anyway.

If you don''t have the necessary research skills to find suitable documentation on the areas that you''ve mentioned, you''re going to have a very hard time solving the sorts of problems you''ll encounter in trying to reach your goal. Now I''m just a beginning programmer and I don''t aim to create anything of the magnitude you''re talking about just yet. However, the questions you''re asking show either that you''re too lazy to have a look for the books and docs you need or you''re not ready for such an incredibly difficult undertaking (or perhaps both).

I hope you don''t think I''m trying to be rude. I''m just trying to put things in perspective.

Having said that though, good luck
No your not rude, I understand what you are saying. I could easily find a book on what i need to do but i want the advice from people who know what book is the best. thank you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement