• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crackingod

Directx port of an OpenGL engine!Useless???

This topic is 5668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You might re-read your post and edit it ! Unless you really intend to port from OGL to OGL in which case shouldn''t take you alot of time.

But seriously do you mean OGL -> DX or DX -> OGL ?

if the game rocks then porting to directx would make it easier to port to x-box

heheh ok seriously

I think OpenGL will suffice, and work on the engine right now as opposed to porting it.

i too cant see a reason to port from an "available pretty much everywhere"-api to "only available on windows"-api. its work, it will cost time, it will cost even more time if that person didnt use d3d before and it wont help to make it run on more machines (and no, api x isnt automatically faster than api y)

Plus almost any card that is worthwhile will have competent OpenGL drivers. OpenGL and DirectX 8.1 (and up) aren''t lightyears apart in their operation so porting later shouldn''t be an amazingly difficult thing (as long as your coders are proficient in DirectX).

Well I think it does have it''s use to make both DirectX and OpenGL versions of the engine. It''s best to let the user choose between both (like Counter-Strike for example) the community project Ngine also did this. Why use both and let them choose? Well it might occur one of the two doesn''t work (although it won''t happen too soon that OpenGL won''t work, but it happens frequently enough to port to DirectX for it I think) and sometimes people just get higher performance from one of the 2 APIs. On my pc OpenGL is really fast with Counter-Strike, but on my bro''s DirectX gives him 10 fp/s more...

Then you also have the problem with OpenGL that it''s getting a bit dated. What if you want to go into advanced shading? Please don''t start a flame on this, but I think DirectX9 is better for shading than OpenGL atm is. So having a DirectX port would allow you to use shaders in a less limited way than OpenGL does. Just some example...

I think it''s a good thing to port the engine, if you have the time for it. If your time is limited though, I would stick to OpenGL since your engine''s quality shouldn''t suffer from porting.

Lastly I want to add that I''m porting my OpenGL engine to DirectX9 atm too...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!