• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

energy_dan

What should I do about my schooling?

This topic is 5730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I''m currently attending Kent State University and majoring in computer science. I''m in my second year now, and I have approx. 2.5 years left after this semester is over. Recently I''ve been thinking about attending Full Sail. At first I planned to just finish my comp sci degree, and then start attending Full Sail. I''ve been looking at it more closely the past few weeks though, and it''s starting to look like it would be a better decision, considering time and money factors, to just transfer to Full Sail this fall. I''ve talked to a couple people so far on what I should do, and I''ve gotten mixed opinions. So I''m wondering what everyone''s thoughts are on this. Should I finish out my degree first, or should I transfer to Full Sail? I appreciate any opinions or thoughts that anyone can give me. Thanks! "Alright Dan, I need you to finish this within the hour, and I need you to do it correctly....Oh yeah one more thing, Don''t F*** Me!" - My Boss

Advertisement
Im attendeing Stony Brook University here in LI, Im in exactly the same situation! This is my 4th semester here and don''t feel like im progressing enough..although my school is supposed to be good in the computer science field.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Full Sail will teach you more about actually programming in the field and real game programming. The trade off is that you lose some of the theory you learn in Comp. Sci. and the Associates degree you get from Full Sail won''t look as good on your resume as a Bachelors. However, the demo you make at Full Sail will look much better than a Bachelors degree. I''d say take the best of both worlds and finish off your Comp. Sci. degree and then go to Full Sail.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Why go to school? Have you though about joining a cult?

You wouldn''t have to pay any taxes.

Personally, I''m a 3rd year Computer Science major at University of Toronto, Canada - and I feel what I''ve learned here is invaluable. Trust me, it only gets better from here - I can''t stress that enough.

I mean, sure you want to make games, but who says you can''t do it in your spare time - I do. Don''t go to a school because you''ll make a cool ''demo'', do it on your own.

- carb

quote:
Drop out and start taking heroin.

I thought about that...it is probably cheaper than tuition costs.

quote:
Personally, I''m a 3rd year Computer Science major at University of Toronto, Canada - and I feel what I''ve learned here is invaluable. Trust me, it only gets better from here - I can''t stress that enough.

I mean, sure you want to make games, but who says you can''t do it in your spare time - I do. Don''t go to a school because you''ll make a cool ''demo'', do it on your own.

See that''s the problem. I haven''t been impressed with my school''s comp sci program at all. Too much of what we''ve done is repetitive, and they are starting to cut some of the classes out to add other classes. Recently they cut one of the programming classes out to replace it with a networking class. That and the fact that Ohio is somewhere like 40 out of 50 in aid for tuition, I''m getting killed between increasing tuition and housing costs. The way I look at it, if I decide to finish out my degree, I''m gonna be looking at another school anyway.

"Alright Dan, I need you to finish this within the hour, and I need you to do it correctly....Oh yeah one more thing, Don''t F*** Me!"
- My Boss

Guest Anonymous Poster
with the economy going down the tubes like it is (Bush == moron), I think you''ll probably be looking at higher tuition and expenses wherever you go, particularly if it''s a state-sponsored school. SUNY (State University of New York) is considering a tuition hike of thousands of dollars per year (I believe the figure is $1,600 per semester) to cover costs. What I''ve heard about Full Sail also is that they''re expensive. so it sounds like what you might want to do is drop out immediately and head for another school. But before you do anything, find another school that has a respectable (-> more established and stable) computer science department and is reasonably affordable.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!