What should I do about my schooling?

Started by
11 comments, last by energy_dan 21 years, 2 months ago
I''m planning...or at least I WANT TO...go to a GOOD university and get a B.A. in computer science and then probably go to Full Sail (or Digipen (pry not)) to get the A.S. But, we''ll see what happens. I have 4 more years of HS left, haha, and so in four years I should know C++ fairly well.

Moose
Advertisement
yeah Im at SUNY at Stony Brook, we''re looking at a $1,400 tuition hike, suck ass if you ask me.
"I mean, sure you want to make games, but who says you can't do it in your spare time - I do. Don't go to a school because you'll make a cool 'demo', do it on your own."

This is my philisophy as well. I gave this alot of thought and decided I will _never_ attend a college to learn programming.

Ask yourself, what do you want to DO as a programmer? Would you want to work FOR someone? Or will you be doing your own projects? Are you trying to build an impressive resume so you can impress a game company? Or are you more of a lone wolf?

I've heard it was incredibly hard if not impossible to do so (impress a game company) without having your own demos or completed commercial game(s), no matter what school you went to. Looking at college curriculums in my area, I don't see any that will teach me things I don't already know, or that I can't google for and learn on my own, and this is true even for colleges that would be harder and more expensive for me to get into. College doesn't seem worth it to me, not for programming, unless you are one of those people who can't learn without a teacher shoving it all down your throat.. I happen to learn better on my own (and for free) And since I will NEVER apply for a game programming job, it works out fine..

peace
-DA

[edited by - deadalive on February 10, 2003 8:28:25 AM]
this place is lame

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement