• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need help with odbc errors..

This topic is 5492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, when i attempt to use odbc to retrieve data from a ms access database then display the data in a dialog based program, i get an error "error: field data truncated during data fetch" right after executing odbc's Open().. odbc crashed at retrieving data from a field, with datatype: text.. i did a couple test and found out if the field contain more than 255 characters the my program crashes.. i want my program to display more than 255 characters of text.. is there anyway to fix this problem? thanx in advance.. btw, i have no problem storing input texts into the database.. i wrote my program in visual studio .net /w visual c++ 7 and i'm running winxp pro.. [edited by - trustno1 on February 8, 2003 7:31:13 PM]

Advertisement
Not really sure what the problem you are having is, but a text field in an access database can only contain 255 characters. Depending on the version of Access (I think 2000 or greater) you can use the memo field.

On the other hand, if the Access field is OK and the problem is on the other side, don''t use ODBC try ADO.

quote:
Original post by McCoy
Not really sure what the problem you are having is, but a text field in an access database can only contain 255 characters. Depending on the version of Access (I think 2000 or greater) you can use the memo field.

On the other hand, if the Access field is OK and the problem is on the other side, don't use ODBC try ADO.

thanx for the fast reply.. i've changed the datatype from text to memo and i'm still getting the same problem.. btw, the access database that i'm using is access xp.. i'll look into ado, but would like to fix the bug instead because i have finished coding my program already.... anyone got any suggestion is welcome.. thank you!

- UPDATE -
i got the problem solved..

[edited by - trustno1 on February 9, 2003 3:40:27 AM]

• Advertisement