feature in a great RPG

Started by
3 comments, last by Christiaan 23 years, 11 months ago
hiya readers, I''m currently working on an CRPG, my very first!, and I wouldlike to hear what you think make an CRPG a good/great CRPG and also useful is what should absolutely not be in one for instance cut-scenes are nice but too many get anoying just as too many too long conversations in a row like in FF8 a lineair storyline isn''t fun either, thought of myself to set up a situation of the place where the game takes place and give the player total freedom of what to do I.E. the player can try to solve the situation be the good guy help the bad guys or not care about it at all and just live his life as a farmer for instance, think it''s very hard to do this maybe not possible at all, but I like challenges well that''s just one of my many ideas, this a good idea or not at all and what are great features to implement???
Advertisement
Yeah, definately open-endedness but not to a "live doing nothing extent". Personally i liked Fallout 2, where there were encounters which attempted to prompt you to begin hating the baddies from about the first hour of the game, but after those, you had free reign on the world basically.(Aside from a few minor quests). So have a generalized storyline, but only leave the player with like lots of time to complete it.
My two cents!

-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
Checkout the ''Game Design'' section on this board, just about every other post deals with RPGs.
I love the Pokemon trainer battles between two gameboys. I wish more games were implemented where you could create a party and do battle with other people''s parties.

-Icarus
-Andreas
Obviously, the best feature in a great RPG is the ability to evolve, such as Asheron''s call or Everquest. If you could do a MMORPG with 24 hour a day programmer''s working, I think you could have a cash flow greater than Cisco,GE, and MS put together. There are millions of PC users(not to mention consoles) Id say a potential of 10-20 million customers( seriously) at $19.95 a month- heheheh You get the idea. Also, give the players the ability to change their world (i.e. If I burn down a forest, the nearby village would not have any firewood, etc.) I think all RPGs are generally good though, so I really cant think of anything else.
Etnu

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement