• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khorn

Filled outlined polygons

This topic is 6917 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for a way to draw a filled polygon with a diff color that outlines the first one. It''s for a very simple (OOOHHH SO SIMPLE!) landscape without any lights ond stuff... Just so I can move around and still see the hightdiff. Right now I draw filled polygons first and then black lines 0.01 over the filled ones. Is there a better way?

Advertisement
Hmm ... that''s probably not what you really want to do.
First off depending on depth/blend settings etc you won''t get an outline - probably one poly or the other. Anyway, digressing =)

Best way to do this would probably be to draw lines around the polygon that are white/red/blue or whatever so that they actually stand out from the polygon. Oh - and when you draw the lines turn off the z-buffer writes but make sure the line is above the poly (so to speak)! This way the line will get draw over the top (hopefully)

I suggest you first draw the polygons textured and all, then change material color and draw them as wireframe. It won''t get any faster than that.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

Ok... I think i got it....
But if we talk about speed... Will it get faster if I have a bitmap that I put on every polygon. That is, if I have a map filled with one color and ouline it. EEhh... I think you''ll understand.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!