What do you think so far?

Started by
17 comments, last by Thunder_Hawk 21 years, 1 month ago
This is my first *major* programing project and I'd like a little feedback... It's somewhat of a pong clone (I've never actually played pong so I can't be sure). I'm not done by a long shot, but I wonder what you think of the my "take" on the game. You can download it here. Any reasonable suggests are welcome. Controls are as follows:

Player 1		Player 2
Left/Right	A/D	: Move Paddle (Paddle will bounce off walls)
Down		S	: Stop
NumPad 0		F	: Activate gravity on opponent (Must have full power)
Up		W	: Umm...check it out (Uses 1/4 of special)

General:
Esc			: Pause
F11			: Toggle Fullscreen

______________________________ And the Phoenix shall rise from the ashes... --Thunder_Hawk -- ¦þ ______________________________ [edited by - Thunder_Hawk on February 8, 2003 12:16:12 AM] [edited by - Thunder_Hawk on March 2, 2003 7:02:22 PM]
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Advertisement
Anyone?
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
I don''t know if this is intended or not...but the way the pad moves...it''s tough.

OH, one thing, you can''t Alt+Tab your application.

The pad movement is not good. It is far to difficult to move the pad the way it is. Otherwise it seems ok.

No no no no! :)
What do you suggest I do about the pad movement (it seems to work well with me )? It''s acceleration based if you didn''t notice, so you''re kind of forced to press stop very often. Is that what you don''t like?

As for the Alt+Tab problem, I thought I had fixed that, (it does exactly what I expect it to on my system) so I don''t know how I can help you...Give me a run down of your specs if you can.

Any problems with the frame rates or what not? Do you like the kind of strategy I put in there? Do you like the effects? Is the A.I. too hard?...etc.

And the Phoenix shall rise from the ashes...

--Thunder_Hawk -- ¦þ
Well, it is ok to have that idea but the way it is working now is that it is too much. You should have a limit on how far you can go. Now it seemed that it could speed away and then you spend more time trying to slow it down. I understand the idea but you just need to adjust it a bit.

I just uploaded a new build of the game with a few minor adjustments to the Win32 interface...hopefully now the fullscreen alt+tab works for you folks... By the way, I found out that this is a driver/card specific issue. If it comes down to it, I''m not going to be able to write fixes for individual cards (I just don''t have that kind of time).
Exactly what is the problem with alt+tab?

When I started this out, if you pressed alt+tab or somehow managed to minimized the game while in fullscreen mode you got a weird crash that often required a reboot. I fixed that (on my system at least) when I noticed it of course. I'm assuming this is the same problem that alnite had.

Oh, the mouse now appears when expected, something that was bugging me anyways....

MichaelT: I'll try lowering the amount of accelleration on the pads, thanks. Is the accelleration of game itself alright (i.e. how the ball and the pad get faster and faster over time)?

And the Phoenix shall rise from the ashes...

--Thunder_Hawk -- ¦þ

[edited by - Thunder_Hawk on February 9, 2003 7:11:34 PM]
I just lowered the pad speed down to 75% of what it was before. I think I'll add an adjustment slider when I get around to making an options menu. You can download the new version here. (Link copied for your convenience)

Error 500 1...2...3...4...5...6

[edited by - Thunder_Hawk on March 2, 2003 7:03:13 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement