• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UnknownPlayer

Strings with undetermined size

This topic is 5666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Basically I''m wondering if there''s anyway to output strings using vsprintf and ensure that vsprintf will never run out of space in the string to write. Is there some way I can check in advance how many extra characters vsprintf will add and then size the string accordingly?

Advertisement
If your compiler supports the C99 standardized version of snprintf (and vsnprintf), then the answer is yes. It must be the C99 standard version of snprintf (many compilers and C runtimes supported version of snprintf before the standard), otherwise it may behave differently. Here''s an example:

#include <stdio.h>

#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
int alpha = 123, beta = 465, gamma = 789;
char *string;
int length;

length = snprintf(NULL,0,"alpha: %d\nbeta: %d\ngamma: %d\n",alpha,beta,gamma);

string = malloc(length+1);
if(string == NULL) /* handle error */;

snprintf(string,length+1,"alpha: %d\nbeta: %d\ngamma: %d\n",alpha,beta,gamma);

printf("string is: %s",string);

free(string);

return 0;
}

Thanks very much - this is exactly what I was looking for.

EDIT: Ok this is interesting, in what version of VC++ is _vscprintf supported in? Because it's not in my local version of MSDN and its giving an undeclared indentifer when I put it in my code. I have VC++ 6.0 Standard.

[edited by - UnknownPlayer on February 9, 2003 1:33:10 AM]

I''m using VC++.NET, so _vscprintf may not be available in older versions of Microsoft''s C run-time. If that''s the case, you may have to write code that goes through the format specifiers and determines exactly how much space you''re going to need. I''m afraid I don''t have any examples, but I seem to recall MFC''s CString::FormatMessage doing something similar in VC++ 6.0. If you''re willing to go through the MFC source, you might be able to "leverage" it.

You could also try Null and Void''s method, using _vsnprintf. Pass NULL and 0 as the first two parameters and see if it returns the length of the string you''ll need.

It doesn''t - evidentally I need to get VC++ 7.0 to get the C99 standard implementation of the function (I would hope). Hmm...might try stripping some code from somewhere - damnit! This is really a lot more effort then this should need.

you can use WTL''s CString class. it works exactly like MFC''s CString but doesn''t have any dependencies.

The VC++ 7.0 version of _snprintf doesn''t conform to C99 as Null and Void has prescribed it. Microsoft''s CRT fails an assertion if you pass NULL as the first parameter.

Can I ask what you''re trying to accomplish? Perhaps you could use a fixed length buffer or the string/stringstream classes from STL?

I''m just trying to implement a simple CText object in my game to display HUD text. STL string classes mess with the syntax too much. I''m wondering if it''s possible to download a function which will give me C99 snprintf functionality?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!