Animation without Inverse Kinematics

Started by
2 comments, last by vrihai 21 years, 2 months ago
Alright. What I want to do is just move my character''s hand to a doorknob or lever, or just any EXACT position. (Like they do in Project Eden) I can find out the final world space position of the joint, but Since I use only rotation keys for animations, I can''t figure how to do this. I don''t want to dive into something so complex and expensive as IK.
Advertisement
quote:
Alright. What I want to do is just move my character''s hand to a doorknob or lever, or just any EXACT position.

That _is_ IK., there''s no avoiding it.

quote:
I don''t want to dive into something so complex and expensive as IK.

IK isn''t that expensive, especially since you''re only using 2 bones (upper arm and forearm). Googleing will give you plenty of info.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Depending on the number of joints and their configuration, it is probably easy to find a closed form solution for your IK. That''s not too complex. Just write the equations linking the position to the joint parameters (x,y,z=f(q1,q2,...) ) and try to express it q1, q2,...=g(x,y,z).
If you have more than 3 joints or if some joints are in the same plane, you might have a redundant system or a system where you have to handle orientation too. Then you still can use the "Jacobian" (to linearize the equations around the current configuration) and maybe use something like "pseudo inverse", "Damped least square" or "Jacobian transpose". Have a look with google about that.

A bunch of IK resources here.

2DNow - Specializing in yesterday''s technology today!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement