• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reaptide

Screwy Assertion Failures

This topic is 5733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everybody, I''m far from an expert when it comes to messing with dynamic memory so I was hoping that I may be able to get a little help with a problem I''m having. The following code snippet is where the problem is occuring and I am recieving errors when running a debug build along the lines of: - DAMAGE: after normal block (#45) at 0x008B1DF0 - Program: Mithril.exe File: dbgheap.c Line: 1044 Expression: _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData) m_rawTime, m_timeInfo and m_LogFile are all defined in the class definiton.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// FUNCTION: CSysLog()

// DESCRIPTION: Default Constructor. Will generate a logfile using the application''s filename as 

//				a base. 

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CSysLog::CSysLog()
{
	// Store the length of the filename string

char szTempPath[1024];
	DWORD dwFilenameStringLength = strlen(szTempPath);

// Get the filename of the program

// Note: This function returns the full path for the filename

//		 so it will be necessary to strip the path from the file

DWORD dwFilenameLength = GetModuleFileName(NULL, szTempPath, dwFilenameStringLength);

// Copy the file path into a string

char *szFilePath = new char[dwFilenameLength];
	szFilePath = szTempPath;

// Find the last occurance of ''\'' in the string

char *lastBackslashPointer = strrchr(szFilePath, ''\\'');
	int lastBackslash = lastBackslashPointer - szFilePath + 1;

// Find out how long the filename is

int filenameLength = strlen(szFilePath) - lastBackslash;

// Create storage for the filename

char *szFilename = new char[filenameLength];

// Copy the filename from the FilePath

for (int i = 0; i <= filenameLength; i++)
	{
		szFilename[i] = szFilePath[i + lastBackslash];
	}

// Replace the last three characters with "log"

szFilename[filenameLength - 3] = ''l'';
	szFilename[filenameLength - 2] = ''o'';
	szFilename[filenameLength - 1] = ''g'';

// So after all of that torture, open the file

// Get Current System time

time(&m_rawTime);

// Format the system into somthing useable

m_timeInfo = localtime(&m_rawTime);

// Attempt to open the log file

m_logFile.open(szFilename, std::ios::out);

// If the file doesn''t open let the user know

if (!m_logFile.is_open())
	{
		char szErrorBuffer[256];
		sprintf(szErrorBuffer, "Failed to open logfile: %s\nNo log output will be available for this logfile.", szFilename);
		MessageBox(NULL, szErrorBuffer, "LOG ERROR", MB_OK | MB_TOPMOST | MB_ICONERROR);
	}

m_logFile << "                                        LOG FILE OPENED\n";

// Format a log file header

char szLogFileHeader[256];
	sprintf(szLogFileHeader, "                     %s created successfully at %d:%d:%d on %d/%d/%d\n", szFilename, m_timeInfo->tm_hour, m_timeInfo->tm_min, m_timeInfo->tm_sec, m_timeInfo->tm_mday, m_timeInfo->tm_mon + 1, m_timeInfo->tm_year + 1900);

// Ouput the header and a header bar

m_logFile << szLogFileHeader;
	m_logFile << "====================================================================================================\n\n";	

// Write all this to the file

m_logFile << std::flush;

// Clean up

delete[] szFilename;
	delete[] szFilePath;
}

Hope that helps a bit. What seems strange to me is that it runs just fine as long as I do not include the pair of delete[] at the end. ------------------------------------------------------------ I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.

Advertisement

char szTempPath[1024];
szFilePath = szTempPath;
delete[] szFilePath;

You''re trying to deallocate memory you did not allocate yourself. And you have a memory leak (you throw away the pointer to the memory you allocated with new char[dwFilenameLength] so there''s no way to refer to it and deallocate it.

The reason why delete is dying is that you are trying to delete a non-dynamic variable (on the stack). What you are doing wrong is just after your first new.

char *szFilePath = new char[dwFilenameLength];
szFilePath = szTempPath;

In the second statement you didn''t copy the string (as I assume you intended) but infact you changed the pointer so that it points to the start of ''szTempPath''. Try doing this:

char *szFilePath = new char[dwFilenameLength+1];
strcpy(szFilePath, szTempPath);

Note: you need an extra byte after the length of the string to fit in the null terminator!

BTW: you could also run into trouble on your GetModuleFileName call; doing strlen(szTempPath) is meaningless until it has been initialised with a string - you can NEVER get the length of an array this way. What you should do is this:

CSysLog::CSysLog()
{ // Store the length of the filename string
char szTempPath[MAX_PATH];
DWORD dwFilenameLength = GetModuleFileName(NULL, szTempPath, MAX_PATH);
}

(Note MAX_PATH is a #define in the windows header files)

Wow! Quick reply.

Thanks to the both of you. That was very informative. Everything is working like a charm now.

------------------------------------------------------------
I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!