• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX9: diff between render target & off-screen plain surface

This topic is 5362 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Since the DX9 sdk doc is sometimes messy or unprecise. I couldn''t figure out what that "CreateOffscreenPlainSurface()" method was for. I believe it''s like doing this in dx8: - Create a texture using render-target flag - Get the first surface of this texture - Set it with SetRenderTarget() - Render everything you want in it - Use that texture as you wish But I can''t understand what this CreateOffScreenPlainSurface is for ... please enlighten me ( Only answer if you know your topic )

Advertisement
hi there,

if you know what IDirect3DDevice8::CreateImageSurface(...) does, then they are just the same with just an added D3DPOOL,

i guess it''s for placing pixels,

I''m resurecting this thread because I had not received a answer which satisfy me completely, if anyone knows the difference between a render target and that OffscreenPlainSurface, please ... help

Guest Anonymous Poster
i have the same question.
coming from DX 7. have spend few days trying to answer this type of questions. i ''would like simply port my GUI to DX9. Simply blit my windows''surface onto back buffer !
Maybe it''s time for me to begin wih OpenGL...
or stop programming

It rocks!
like a whole lot and stuff!
it''s rad dude!
like totally cool man!
no way its bad to the bone!

well it''s ok .

this is what it is ?
in a nut shell;

Make your own mouse icon with directX Input

IDirect3DSurface9 *g_pBitmapSurface;
IDirect3DDevice9 * g_pd3dDevice;
HANDLE* pSharedHandle;

void GET_Surface()
{
g_pd3dDevice-> CreateOffscreenPlainSurface(64,64,D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8,D3DPOOL_SCRATCH,&g_pBitmapSurface,pSharedHandle) ;

D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFile(g_pBitmapSurface,0,0,"ARROW_T.bmp",0,D3DX_FILTER_NONE, D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0,0,0,0),0);
g_pd3dDevice-> SetCursorProperties(0,0,g_pBitmapSurface);
g_pd3dDevice-> ShowCursor(TRUE);
}

• Advertisement