2D DirectDraw vs. OpenGL

Started by
5 comments, last by Granini 21 years, 2 months ago
I want to make a 2D game, but i need very high performance. I would prefer OpenGL to program it. Is DirectDraw (much) faster than OpenGL in 2D? Should i really use OpenGL?
Advertisement
Just set Open GL into ortho mode and your good to go for a 2d game. You can still use all of Open GL''s effects like multitexturing, lighting, ect and still have it run fast.

Look at this way, if OGL can do games that push 10,000 textured polys or more a frame, doing something simple like a 2d game should be a cakewalk.
I asked myself the same question before i started my current 2d project about 8 months ago. I chose OpenGL and I''m very very happy with my choice. You have much more options and I''m sure its faster if you are talking about DirectDraw specifically, which the last time that was implemented was in Directx7. If you use DirectGraphics which is in dx8+, from what I''ve read it seems much more of a pain to do 2d than OpenGL.

I say definetly go with OpenGL.

-plasmicsoup
Gilgamesh Games
-plasmicsoup
I dont know about DDraw8, but Direct Draw 7 was geared toward 2d cards, and lacked any solid and dependable form of acceleration. I hear DDraw8 is based off D3D though. However, in my expierence OpenGL tends to be the better choice.
i''m not sure with ddraw, but with opengl, you can easily resize your sprites, make a parallax effect, etc...

go with opengl i say!...:D.
Really use OGL
1) It should (could) be faster on 3D cards
2) It has better effects
3) I think there isnt so much initialization code
4) Cross-Platform

So use OpenGL... Carmack does too
PM Times change...Excuse my poor english!
Im not carmack , But i use OGL because its easier to accelerate 2d stuf , rotations enlarging ETC
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement