• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cippyboy

How are PSX Games done ?

This topic is 5575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How are PSX Games done ? I mean there`s no exe only a Slus***.*** and something like that... Most of the cases there`s a masive file an img holding about 600-700 MB of data... How is the data interpreted ? How can there be rendering if there is no DX or OpenGL ? How do they compile the code written in what ?

Advertisement
>> How are PSX Games done ?

They're programmed in much the same way as games for the PC or any other platform is. I'll go into that more in a minute...

>>I mean there`s no exe only a Slus***.*** and something like that...

As for the no .exe file, just because the Playstation doesn't use the PE .exe format for its binaries doesn't mean that there isn't some file on there which the console executes on startup as the main binary.

>>Most of the cases there`s a masive file an img holding about 600-700 MB of data... How is the data interpreted ?

Think in terms of the Quake .pak files, simple large archives of the game's resources which the engine opens and extracts what is needed into memory so that it can be loaded into the game.

>>How can there be rendering if there is no DX or OpenGL ?

Though I'm not sure on the specifications for the PSX's rendering API, it most likely has something similar in respect to d3d and ogl.

>>How do they compile the code written in what ?

They build the game on PC's, they compile the game with specialized compilers made to create executables which will run on the PSX's chipset. While they obviously do not use VC++, they could be using something similar to it which was developed by Sony for its console developers. As for the language, you can bet its c/c++.

[edited by - neurokaotix on February 9, 2003 9:02:15 AM]

You forgot that part about needing a special PS or PS2 to develope on. Basically (as i understood) you could just slip a rw in it. could just keep recompiling it.
Maybe my info was wrong...

If you search the internet long enough im almost POSITIVE there was a entire site deticated on how to build a ps2 game.

maybe im just completely off

I hear that Metrowerks'' CodeWarrior software can program PS2 games. Check out their site. However I''m pretty sure it only runs on Macintosh computers, but you can look.

Yes I got all that..though I`m not gonna write a PSX/2 game... The Big question is : Why is it so hard to convert the PS2 source into a PC exe ?
P.S:I`m actually thinking why Squaresoft won`t release PS2 games on PC (FFX,FFX-2,FFXII),they say it`s hard to convert but it`s about the money...they probably want only the PS2 market because they`re cracked harder,unlike the PC market...

I doubt its all as crazy hard as they make it out to be, they''re all professional programmers. But then, that might be true, maybe there isn''t enough of a money insentive for them to make the port. Like you said, PS2 games seem to be pirated less than those on the PC.

With the exception of Vice city and a few other games, MOST ps2 games would suck on the computer. Considered to most computer games, there is not enough options nor levels that are big enough.

Take MSG2 for example. GREAT GAME! dont get me wrong, it was awesome. But you could really play that on a computer? They would HAVE to add a whole mission at least. Its mostly movies, people dont like that when they buy a computer game.

Look at the most popular games. Diablo II, WarCraft 3, MorrowWind. What do these games have in common? the VAST number of things you can do. diablo has all the weapons, and 7 characters to master. Warcraft 3 has a very advanced map editor to make that game into ANY game you want, with the right determination. MorrowWind, WOW, huge huge huge game. Kinda like vice city, you dont really have to follow the plot and some what, like 12 characters to try?. All these games have the almost unlimited replay value.

Although it goes back to money, PS2 developers would have to spend ALOT of extra time making the games more...customizable for them to hit big or at least hit at all on a computer. Today, the ability to modify aspects of games is greatly admired. Even the less popular like GhostRecon have there OWN spot to load a mod in. Its just how games are today, and because the PS2 was not designed to let the user modify the games, porting them would be worthless, money wise and time wise.

Just my opinion. Although, think of all the computer games that hit it big on consol systems Like Starcraft and C&C. Think it would be any better? I rest my case.

P.S. yes, GTA is the exception, mostly because it origionally hit on the computer anyways.

Converting PS2 games to PC is harder because you have to code for a variable. Where as a PS2 you know what hardware yor game will run on. DX and OGL are supposed to be the translator so there is no variable, but there are also alot of other things. I did some coding for my Dreamcast. I wrote my code with special addresses for things liek memory, video etc. www.dcemulation.com is where i got the info to do it.

You can compile code written on your PC and use a tool to get it over to a PSX binary and you can run it on your PS2. It is NOT as hard as people make it sound. If i still had it i''d post the code to my Dreamcast app. It was written in C and was just the old cube that spins, but I used a 3d library someone made.

If you ar einterested in learning about cosole programming I suggest searching the net. Again, IT IS NOT AS HARD AS IT SOUNDS! Only difference is finding the correct tools and learning the memory mapping stuff.

Dustin Davis
Owner / CEO
Programmers Unlimited
www.Programmers-Unlimited.com

Programming psx games isnt too bad. Officially, you''d need a blue playstation/net yaroze with all the pc tools. But you can get away with a

1st/2nd generation PSX,
a cheat cartridge with parallel in,
a cheap PC comms card,
a male - female parallel cable,
and the freeware unofficial tools for the pc (such as GCC compiler)

There is also quite a lot of info out there on getting started (no "hello world" which I could find though ^_^ )

The thing about porting PS2 games, is that all the good ones (which you dont often see ported - in a reasonable amount of time anyway), use the vector units. Essentially, with the emotion engine, VU0 and VU1, your''e essentially having to balance graphics, sound, AI etc over 3 processors.... Which isnt easy ^_^

And dont get me started on the GFX programming, sending packets to the GPU and such... Although there is a middleware OpenGL availible though ^_^

So porting a game from the PS2 which utilises all the features, is likely to involve a complete re-write of almost ALL the code from scratch. I gave up on it ages ago ^_^

Transformers Rulez!!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!