How are PSX Games done ?

Started by
12 comments, last by cippyboy 21 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by DarkHunter
With the exception of Vice city and a few other games, MOST ps2 games would suck on the computer. Considered to most computer games, there is not enough options nor levels that are big enough.

Take MSG2 for example. GREAT GAME! dont get me wrong, it was awesome. But you could really play that on a computer? They would HAVE to add a whole mission at least. Its mostly movies, people dont like that when they buy a computer game.

Look at the most popular games. Diablo II, WarCraft 3, MorrowWind. What do these games have in common? the VAST number of things you can do. diablo has all the weapons, and 7 characters to master. Warcraft 3 has a very advanced map editor to make that game into ANY game you want, with the right determination. MorrowWind, WOW, huge huge huge game. Kinda like vice city, you dont really have to follow the plot and some what, like 12 characters to try?. All these games have the almost unlimited replay value.

Although it goes back to money, PS2 developers would have to spend ALOT of extra time making the games more...customizable for them to hit big or at least hit at all on a computer. Today, the ability to modify aspects of games is greatly admired. Even the less popular like GhostRecon have there OWN spot to load a mod in. Its just how games are today, and because the PS2 was not designed to let the user modify the games, porting them would be worthless, money wise and time wise.

Just my opinion. Although, think of all the computer games that hit it big on consol systems Like Starcraft and C&C. Think it would be any better? I rest my case.

P.S. yes, GTA is the exception, mostly because it origionally hit on the computer anyways.

Or are many games left unported because of the target audience. Games consoles are just that - games consoles. Their purpose is to provide entertainment, and are used by a large range of people. PCs on the other hand are more tools than games machines and are viewed by most as this and are not generally seen as machines to play games with - this is the role of the game console. My guess is that generally the people who play games in a serious way on a PC are the PC buff/experts/geeks. And a vast majority of these people tend to like the games referred to in the quoted post. You will find a wider range and mix of people playing games on the games consoles than those who seriously play games on a PC. Just my thoughts.

I have read that OpenGL is available on the PS2. Does anyone know if thus is a truth or merely a rumour?

Is there a serious flaw in making a game ''generic'' to make it easier to port? Having various libraries on each platform with the same named functions all taking and returning the same parameters/types, but these functions then call more system specific routines (keyboard input, sound, graphics etc). At a guess, similar to the way that OpenGL operates on various platforms. The guts of the game will be the same, keeping the feel the same across the platforms, and there would be no need to recode routines that are system specific. There may be a slight performance reduction, but for games that don''t push the system this would be negligable if at all noticable.

Cheers,
Jeroen
Cheers,Jeroen
Advertisement
good point Bigboy, about the varity of people...lol

i never thought of it that way.

What about the next generation consols? is it possible they will be more..."program" friendly?

And i forgot to mention, Playstation does have a way to program on the consol. You can buy a linux (FINALLY) kit. notice its not windows . Seriously, you buy a hard drive, red hat version of linux for the ps2, keyboard, mouse, and you can compile programs. I remember it said tho, it will NOT run any other binary you have precompiled, so im assuming it compiles the binary differently.

I also belive its only avilably in japan, but you can check on that at:
click here

[edit] updated link (like 6 times, damn thing wont work)

[edited by - ThePretender on February 11, 2003 3:51:08 PM]
quote:Original post by ThePretender
And i forgot to mention, Playstation does have a way to program on the consol. You can buy a linux (FINALLY) kit. notice its not windows .

I also belive its only avilably in japan, but you can check on that at:
click here

It''s available globally now, see the link Linux for PS2. Looking through the PS2 Linux community BBs, it appears that OGL is available on this platform.

Jeroen

Cheers,Jeroen
Alright guys, i see alot of incorrect things here. Okay, first, the linux kit is available in Japan, Europe, and USA, i own it(okay, it looks like that was already covered). Next, the Net Yaroze is a black playstation, not blue. Codewarrior for ps2 and ps1 runs on windows, not just mac.

I have not developed for PS1, but here is a rundown of ps2 graphics programming without anytihng like openGL. The ps2 uses its GS (graphics synthesizer) to put graphics to the screen. The hardware and the information stored on it can take commands to draw things like points, lines, sprites, triangles, triangle strips, etc. This is similar to the way openGL works only sending this information to the ps2 is more difficult. As mentioned earlier in this forum you have to send data to many different places. The VU0 and and VU1 are actually part of the emotion engine. One is for high quality model data, and the other is for background images and things like that. YOu basically code physics, AI, and animation to change the vertices in the vu''s and emotion engine, then send that processed data to the GS, which displays it to the screen. I am currently finishing up a tutorial on programming the ps2, it is very detailed and aimed at begginers. See my post on this forum. Also, as someone mentioned, that slus file is all the models, sounds, textures, etc all compressed into one file. The game decompresses it and takes out what it needs.
The funny thing about driving a car over a cliff is, you still hit those breaks. Hey! Better try the emergency break!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement