Quaternions - YES or NO????

Started by
4 comments, last by MetalWorX 23 years, 11 months ago
I''m doing a 3d real time strategy game/ do i need to use quaternions??? thnx sandeep_kl@mailcity.com
Raptor
Advertisement
Is it space or ground based?

For space simulations you probably should go with quaternions as it avoids gimbal locks as well as having some other nice properties.

For ground based units (and airplanes in ground based RTS) you will do just fine without quaternions since all units will be oriented with the ground anyway (no need to worry about gimbal lock etc)

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

iam doing a "command & conquer tiberian sun" 3D Clone game. so i probably wont need quaternions. but i must move and rotate the objects without rotating the axes. the main thing i need is that the objects should travel in world coordinates and rotate around itself. now, everything is relative to the axes. i saw your answers, ill try them out and let you know, thanks for the trouble
Raptor
No offense or anything, but do you think you can handle a 3D tiberium sun clone by yourself? Or are you working with other ppl. It''s going to be VERY hard by yourself.
yeah, i thought tiberian sun was planned to be in 3d, but was made into 2d. or is this just simcity 3000?

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Dunno about TibSun. I did see some beta Simcity3000 3d shots. I think they made the right choice at the time. With all these new super-dooper 3D cards coming out it''d be interesting to see if they brought out a 3d version...

Paul Groves.
http://home.clara.net/paulyg/ogl.htm
OpenGL for Beginners
Paul Grovespauls opengl page

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement