• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World Editor *ahem*

This topic is 5491 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, after much deliberation and hearing opinions from others, I decided on using my own world format to handle the ''levels'' in my game, and to do that I need to build my own world editor. So, my problem is this: Program the editor in Visual Basic, making the integration of the IDE with OpenGL SO much simpler, or code it in Visual C++, making it much more flexible since I already have my engine, but causing many problems with the integration with MFC and OpenGL? There''s my problem. Now, with VB, it may be easier to integrate it with OGL, but it would mean having to port ALL of my graphics classes over, which would be a major pain in the ass. Any ideas? And those who have created their world editors in Visual C++, any tips on working the OpenGL with the MFC coherently? Specifically, integrating a toolbar without the OpenGL window area fighting for dominance over it? *laughs* I know this all must be a tad confusing, because I''m rather confused myself, but I would definitely appreciate any input anyone has to offer. *smiles* Thanks in advance, Julian Spillane

Advertisement
contact me on icq and i ll send you a few files to get your started with ogl and MFC

Hehehe. Bas is making his map editor in MFC, and I''m making mine in VB . Like you said, it''s easier to make the IDE in VB and easier to integrate OpenGL, but you trade this off against the increased programming flexibility MFC will give you.

Personally, I like VB, and wanted to make a cool IDE as well as a kick-ass editor. I didn''t want to spend ages working out small, irritating window features. Check out the DarkVertex link in the sig for an example of my user interface. The only problem I''ve had using VB to make my editor is organization. If you''re going to use VB, I''d recommend planning everything before you start. I find it''s sometimes difficult to manage my code in VB.

On the programming side of things, VB won''t hold you back in terms of actually programming the level editor code, but it will interfere with things like the appearance of your controls. There have been a few UI issues I''ve run up against, and had to accept because I''m using VB. And anyway, if you want specific controls, you can always create them as custom ActiveX controls.

If you decide to do it in VB, email me, and I''ll give you some pointers...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

I''m slowly putting the finishing touches on my game''s engine, and I have found it easiest to create a new control class and simply make an editor out of the game itself. Of course, you may consider this a rather crude solution, but if you''re the one doing the editing, you know all the short-cut keys anyway, aand it makes for instant previewing as well.

Also, this may be completely impossible depending on the requirements of the engine itself. For example, if you choose to make a BSP-tree terrain (mine is essentially a dynamic height-map) then it would be very cumbersome to have to recompile your brushes after each change just so that the engine can draw them.

just another option...

struct {person "George D. Filiotis";} Symphonic;
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!

Symphonic, that's actually the method I have been working on recently, editing in-game. It seems to work nicely for me, though the map editor wasn't complete, it was almost done(though I have lost all my code due to a breakin). I used a console to allow me to make changes on the fly, load in new maps, generate a new terrain texture and so on, and was planning on adding UI elements to offer even further control over map making. I think with a bsp process you can safely run the BSP process once, add in objects that aren't run through the bsp process and then run them through the process only when you are ready, a few extra objects being rendered inefficiently for the sake of not having to rerun the bsp process every few seconds is not a bad tradeoff. I do feel somewhat like I'm cheating though by not having created a MFC/win32 style editor, seeing as this is the most common type of level editor you seem to come across for most modern games.... I think I'll have to come back to it at a later date and work on it, but it certainly hasn't been difficult to adapt my game to feature an "edit mode". My console enables or disables the edit mode, so I can easily disable the editing option in the final game release.

Back to the topic in hand though, this method does have the advantage that none of your code needs to be rewritten, and you don't have to learn some alien seeming API or how to integrate it with DirectX.

*Edit*.... or how to integrate it with OpenGL in your case ;P working with DirectX I sometimes forget it's not the only API around

[edited by - mephs on February 10, 2003 1:59:03 AM]

Incidentally, the system Symphonic and Mephs both just mentioned is the same system that will be used in Doom III; the first FPS to incorporate it''s map editor in the game''s executable. This allows you to run around the map you''re creating, in-game, whenever you want. Apparently, you just click a button, and it switches, almost instantly, to the in-game environment, with the new map loaded. Very clever indeed.

btw, Symbiotic, nice link in your sig. I too am in support of a ban on Dihydrogen Monoxide ...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

Thanks a lot guys for your input!
Insanity, I''m sending you an email, because hey, it''s always great to meet other programmers, and I''m greatly interested in any tips you could provide me.

And, I suppose that while I''m building my editor, I could modify my engine to use an ingame editor. *nods* ^^

Thanks a lot, everyone! :D

ingame editors are fine yeah

but i personally dislike them
i am an old quake engine mapper and seeing how other people modify your maps is really annoying thats why i prefer external editors
of course you can save the map with a password but hacking this password is not that difficult at all

• Advertisement