Win32? SDK? SDL? MFC? GDI? Arrgh!

Started by
13 comments, last by Utwo 21 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by niyaw
of course. thousands of mfc programmers all over the world use it because it''s more complicated than using raw win32 api directly. why else would you use a piece of software, if not to make your life harder?

Don''t be so patronizing. I didn''t say it made your life harder; in fact, I specifically mentioned that it makes programming large apps easier. The software is complicated, however.
Advertisement
quote:

It''s true, though, isn''t it?

I think so. Now, try out CSocket(MFC). If Berkeley Sockets are an example on how an API should not be done, CSocket is an example on how not to encapsulate an API.

I prefer to stick with the Win32 API. If the project is too complex, I''ll use C++ Builder and forget about it. Not that I don''t know how to use, I just don''t like it.

But I believe we are straying from the original subject...
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
Excellent. My program would only use it in certain instances, but here's what I had in mind:

Crude Mockup (65K)

I don't know what the policy is on how large (img)'s can be so I just linked it. Anywhoo, as you can see, I would like a large red gradient to cover the playing grid when the user crosses a certain threshold. As with other Tetris games, the music will also change. It's not imperative that the gradient be very smooth. If it would help the game run at a constant 30fps, I wouldn't mind having 16 or so "steps" to the gradient.

Is this something that can be a reality on todays computers? It doens't look as though it'd be too demanding, but I've never programmed a game with this amount of polish on it, so I'm not sure.

[edited by - utwo on February 9, 2003 2:51:23 PM]
---signature---" Actually, at the time, I didn't give a damn about the FoxNews issue... just that you would come swooping in with your Super Mith cape flapping behind you and debunk it just because it didn't happen in your living room." - InnocuousFox
You can make your gradient as smooth as you like if you draw it in Photoshop and blit it with some transparency.
Awesome. I look forward to spending some time on MSDN learning all about it. MSDN is really awesome once you learn how to use it.
---signature---" Actually, at the time, I didn't give a damn about the FoxNews issue... just that you would come swooping in with your Super Mith cape flapping behind you and debunk it just because it didn't happen in your living room." - InnocuousFox

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement