• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bjmumblingmiles

Visual Studio auto-completion menus

This topic is 5673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been programming with VS for several years and one feature I cant understand is the autocompletion menu that pops up with a list of struct members and class members after you type their name. This is a very useful thing as I forget member variable and function names all the time. Sometimes however, it doesn''t come up. What would cause this feature to only work in limited contexts? It''s just annoying me, so if anyone has any tips as to how this works or why this is happening, I''d love to hear it. Thanks Brian

Advertisement
I usually have the same problem with VC++ 6. I seem never to be able to get the member menu on STL vars, and often other of my own classes. It seems as it''s random, although some fuzzy patterns can noted, but I have not found any solution. I would, like bjmumblingmiles (interesting handle, btw ), be happy if anyone could shed some light on this issue.

The solution to your problem is simple. Acquire a copy of Visual Assist by WholeTomato Software (www.wholetomato.com i think). This is the absolute best tool for Visual Studio. All auto-completion features are prefect as well as many other features that are very appreciated (but should be part of visual studio to begin with).

quote:
Original post by RulonR
The solution to your problem is simple. Acquire a copy of Visual Assist by WholeTomato Software (www.wholetomato.com i think). This is the absolute best tool for Visual Studio. All auto-completion features are prefect as well as many other features that are very appreciated (but should be part of visual studio to begin with).
No, did not fix it.

An example:

std::vector<crap> nut;

nut. // <-- No auto-completion menu, and Visual Assist gives nothing.

Hi Guys,
I have had the same problem with VS before and noticed a couple of things (though i have not found definitely what causes it). Whenever there is an error in the code above where the autocomplete should be the autocomplete generally fails to show. This only extends to the actual function the code is in.

Also, there is a known problem with using the DX autocomplete - you have to actually insert the header file into the project view (something about the intellisense going to the wrong header or something). Perhaps this also has to do with it.

Lastly, there is an .ncb file saved in the project that has all the class info in it. People have reported success when they delete this file - it is then regenerated when the project is opened / compiled.

Hope this fucking helps

aface

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!