Widescreen Games?

Started by
21 comments, last by elendil67 21 years, 2 months ago
Age of Empires 2 ans well as most RTS games end up similar to the idea where the HUD is in the letterbox of a widescreen format. Most of those games have HUDs on the bottom taking up a lot of space while the rest of the screne is used for the actual game. This is technically not widescreen and also not an FPS which is much different... still just thought I''d mention it... Also, I''d like widescreen games to have the good old 4:3 ratio an option. Mostly because, when viewed on any screen in my house, any widescreen movie/game ends up being maybe a foot tall... maybe. Gets annoying with a small TV.

If I had a widescreen TV or at least one that was BIG, I''d probobly love it

Tazzel3d ~ Dwiel
Advertisement
Heh -- all I could think of since the third post was DooM.
When the display isn''t set to fullscreen you have a wider aspect ratio. This resulted in a trimming of the top and bottom, however, instead of a widening of the filed of view. (Pixels were more valuable due to the low resolution, so widening the FoV would mean a shorter maximum viewing distance.) You could get away with this in DooM because the vertical axis wasn''t all too critical (despite it being a key feature at the time.)
Having a wider screen ratio would not distort the image you see in games that have an isometric projection, as they don''t represent an arc of view.

But as Kohai pointed out, in a game that has a projection that is supposed to represent a 45 degree field of view on a current screen looks ok when you sit 2-3 feet from it. But when you try to fit a greater field of view into the same width say 60 or 70 degress FOV then you have to move your head much closer to the screen in order for it not to appear distorted, or give you a massive headache.

On a normal monitor with a normal ratio I might rotate my eye 22 degrees to the left to see the left side of the screen, and my eye expects to find an image that represents that angle. If my eye finds an image at that side of the screen that represents a 35 degree angle it will appear distorted. To alleviate this, as Kohai said, I would have to move my head closer to the screen so that the arc through which I rotate my eye to the edge of the screen matches the angle that that screen edge represents.

One symptom of this which had people puzzled farely recently was with the origional battlezone, which had only a 40 degree projection. This was because the screen was so far from the player, as it was mounted in an arcade machine, that it could not support a greater field of view.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement