• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fooberman

Fill rate

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I think i''m getting a much lower fill rate than I should be getting with the hardware I have. I have a GeForce4 MX 440SE with 64 MB, running on an Athlon 2100+ and an ASUS A7N8X motherboard with 512 MB PC2700 DDR memory, and my fill rate is in the area of 370 Mpix/s. nvidia''s website says that this card should achieve something closer to 900 or 1000 MPix/s. my triangle rate is better though, 28 million out of a maximum 31 million (says nvidia). Any reason for this?? Chris

Advertisement
The number quoted by nvidia is probably megatexels, not megapixels. Since the GF4 MX supports 2 texture units, this means about 450-500 megapixels is what the card can really do, which is around the range that you are getting.

j

nVidia often mis-implies their fill rate.

Also, according to various documents on nVidia''s site...

Tri-linear filtering will cut fill rate in half.
Using 3-4 texture stages cuts fill rate in half.
Large pixel shaders can cut fill rate in half, or even quarter.

Consider the values listed to be theoretical maximums that you aren''t likely to hit unless your game is really really bland.

Besides... nVidia''s numbers are theoretical, and can not be compared to measured results.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!