• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oniera

Copy Protection

This topic is 6363 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I find an interesting hypocracy in this business. While game developers are quick to support new hardware, hardware manufacturers seem to make no effort to help software creators in return. While we programmers are bashing away at our keyboards writing support for a host of features present in the next-gen 3D cards, hardware manufacturers never seem to sit down and say, "How would you like us to create a standard to protect your work?" So why is it that the 2 sides STILL cannot develop a good copy-protection scheme? Demetrios Georgeadis Director/Programmer Oniera Software Artists www.oniera.com

Advertisement
Well, the good old ''enter page 6, line 5, word 10'' scheme doesn''t work any more. People have photocopiers.

Providing good copyright protection, stopping warez, stopping game hacks, stopping hackers, and preventing online fraud are all depenedent on an infrastructure item that our current home computing world does not have. Hardware security devices. Software based security is never safe (well, ok, the first few hours it is out might be safe, but then it gets broken). These issues and more are something I''m trying to get my company to take an interest in solving. Something else we do here is the hardware answer. If anyone knows of any companies trying to solve one or more of these issues, let me know about them. Maybe they''ll listen to my ideas a little more earnestly than our short sighted executives.

Mike Roberts
aka milo
mlbobs@telocity.com

They better not figure out a way to copy protect those CDs i like to illegally cop...err....never mind!

-----------------------------------------------------------
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms
ISDN - It Still Does Nothing
APPLE - Arrogance Produces Profit-Losing Entity
SCSI - System Can't See It
DOS - Defunct Operating System
BASIC - Bill's Attempt to Seize Industry Control
IBM - I Blame Microsoft
DEC - Do Expect Cuts
CD-ROM - Consumer Device, Rendered Obsolete in Months
OS/2 - Obsolete Soon, Too.
WWW - World Wide Wait
MACINTOSH - Most Applications Crash; If Not, The Operating System Hangs

Well, copy protection never really works anyways.
Like my dad say, "it just keeps the honest people honest."
What copy protection alomst always does is increase the development time of a new medium {such as DVD} and increase the cost of the resulting product.
If you''re still looking for ways to copy protect you''re material {graphics, sound, etc.} the best way is to write your own encoding and decoding schemes. This way it is less likely for a cracker to have a utility in their hands to open up your files.

Oh , how I miss Prince, and Lemmings ( the little creatures made from about three pixels.)…

As for copy protection, well foolproof copy protection just doesn’t exist. What is compiled can be decompiled, what is encrypted can be decrypted. Even 128 bit keys are not 100% foolproof. The secret-public key seems promising, but I don’t than much about that.

SonicSilcion - I agree, the encryption algorithms you write your self (if complex enough) are less likely to be broken. joust make sure you have a working decryption alghoritem

Pascalix

Everyone knows SOFTWARE PROTECTION DOES NOT WORK! So, it''ll have to be hardware...

Let''s look at the DVD example. Sure you can copy DVD movies, but your copy will (and shouldn''t) be anywhere near as good quality as the original. So, in my opinion, this works, because the real enthusiast will buy the original.

Since DVD is propietary technology, the industry could push that DVD burners MUST meet industry specs, and one of those could be some kind of copy protection. No?

Demetrios Georgeadis
Director/Programmer
Oniera Software Artists
www.oniera.com

If they ever made copy protection, it would make a bunch of people just complain that their privacy was violated or some bs like that. Don''t correct me...I said privacy and I meant it.

!

Copy protection is really something difficult to develop, and I speak from experience. What is worse is that it implies using less-or-more standard system calls/interrupt, which mean that the program will have to be tested on many more platforms.

And since there is no ultimate copy-protection, it means that it will eventually be cracked and that you have to start everything from scratch for your next game

Bad mojo.

Be reading you,
David

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!