Copy Protection

Started by
26 comments, last by Oniera 22 years, 5 months ago
M$, APPLE and ADOBE r comming up with a new Software protection scheme. called
charter software flags or sommin like that.
When the SW is being coppied it sends information back to the company i think.

~prevail by daring to fail~
Advertisement
OK... OK.. You will never be able to prevent any type of hardware copying of any type. The Law protects us (the consumer) and allows us to make copies of any media for the purpose of a Backup. There is NO CD (this includes PC games, PlayStation .. etc) or DVD''s that are copy proof. If you think that then you just aren''t using the right tools for the job (the backup job that is). It is my right to "Backup Software". The only real solution is to make the installation process a little more complicated. I.E. requiring the software to register itself on the net before it can finish installation (example would be expensive Adobe software and other very expensive networking software). From there you can track and make an attempt to protect but the Law''s on this are not in your favor, and as it was said before this would be very expensive. The true fact is all you can do is code your copy protection on the CD so that is stops the laymen from completing his task. The playstation accomplished this for a little bit and that meant that for the first 10 CD releases or so they a few more than normal. Then other companies saw that the “Consumer” was not able to use his/her legal right to make a “Backup” and then published a engine and sold them to larger companies.
This is a difficult subject to talk about because I to produce products to consumers that I do not want to be copied but at the same time, I ... hmm.. make backup copies of...my....software to. It is a very expensive process and if you are successful you then must hire a lawyer (who will not be cheap) to see if you would violate and consumer right.
Your right BadCredit. That''s why what should be protected is execution and playback.

Mike Roberts
aka milo
mlbobs@telocity.com
Zipster it''s funny how your quote shows half truth.
quote:Original post by OneEyeLessThanNone
There is another solution, make the game freeware. Better yet, make it viral so that it spreads itself and dont have to pay distributors !!

Blarg, my computer got infected by that damn Counterstrike virus again. I blame this on you.
they already have near fool proof copy portection on some music CDs. When you put it in your PC CD-ROM Drive, it wont load of play, but will in a normal CD player, as if they are going to try and stop MP3 distribution.

But like all copy protection, there is a way around this.
1. Go to radion shack and buy a cable with a normal headhone jack on both ends.

2. Go home and put the CD that is desired to be copied in your cd player.

3. Plug the cord into the headphone jack of your CD-Player in to the Line-In jack in the back of your computer.

4. Open any WAV recording program

5. Press record in the program.

6. Press play on the CD

7. Convert the file to an mp3.

8. Gloat about how you beat the music companies, and wonder why you just copied a cd that you already own
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
Whhaaaa, you suggest making an *analogue* copy of a copy ''protected'' audio CD ?! My poor ears.

The ''fool proof'' protection is actually very primitve: It just uses a modified TOC so that a standard grabber proggy is fooled. It also has some other minor modifications of the redbook standard, but nothing dramatic. Keep in mind that normal CD players still need to be able to read them. A few little modifications of some standard CD grabber and you can copy them just as usual.
Whatever happened to the old "red film" protections?

SDB - If you are the only one that can fix it, why are you complaining to me?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement