What is wrong with this code?

Started by
18 comments, last by dampe64 21 years, 2 months ago
quote:If someone walks up to you on the street and asks you for directions, do you say, "Screw off, do I look like a map?"

Not a valid analogy. This is a technical forum, not a social setting.

quote:
Not everyone has this when they immediately enter the software industry. Again, make an attempt to educate someone before you throw the book at them.

The poster has been a gamedev.net member for about a year. Is it really too much to ask that they post intelligent questions?
Advertisement
Asking ''what is wrong with this code?'' means dampe64 knows there is something wrong with it. It wouldn''t take much effort to explain what the problem is and why she knows it isn''t working correctly. By explaining the problem more clearly she would also find herself thinking it through and possibly understanding it better.

How to ask
quote:Original post by sjelkjd
If someone walks up to you on the street and asks you for directions, do you say, "Screw off, do I look like a map?"

quote:
Not everyone has this when they immediately enter the software industry. Again, make an attempt to educate someone before you throw the book at them.

The poster has been a gamedev.net member for about a year. Is it really too much to ask that they post intelligent questions?

A forum, I''m afraid to announce to you, is just as much a social setting as the streets are. You interact with people and reply to queries concerning their problems in an environment with other people.

If you can''t provide constructive replies to someone''s questions, then don''t waste their time, thanks. This is a forum to help people, regardless of their skills, not a place to yell at them because you''re unable to make sense of their code, even if it''s really simple. Granted, this was not posted in the right place, but a question is still a question.
Is there a reason why the value has to be calculated manually? Would not mktime() be a better solution?

Just fill in a struct tm variable with the specified date and let mktime() fill in the tm_wday field. Done.

Here''s a link to the function description:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/HTML/_crt_mktime.asp
quote:Original post by RuneLancer
A forum, I''m afraid to announce to you, is just as much a social setting as the streets are. You interact with people and reply to queries concerning their problems in an environment with other people.

With different responsibilities. Posting in this forum implies you have some sort of prorgamming knowledge, and a responsibility not to waste the time of others.

quote:
If you can''t provide constructive replies to someone''s questions, then don''t waste their time, thanks.

Forgive my attepts to raise the S/N ratio. By replying "it sucks" I was hoping the OP could elaborate on their program, and learn some valuable comminucation skills while doing so.

quote:
This is a forum to help people, regardless of their skills, not a place to yell at them because you''re unable to make sense of their code, even if it''s really simple. Granted, this was not posted in the right place, but a question is still a question.

Ok, for the last time, I didn''t have a problem understanding their code. What I did have a problem with was being QA for them. I don''t think it''s too much to ask that if someone has a problem with their code, they can at least explain the symptoms, instead of just posting the code(especially when the code is tedious).

quote:Original post by sjelkjd

nobody forced you to reply to this thread.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
nobody forced you to reply to this thread.

why don''t you label your posts with a name? are you afraid of something?

this "don''t reply" attitude, taken heartily by many easily offended gamedev members, has the unfortunate side-effect of forcing the more knowledgeable population to leave or become less active. how, you ask?

the two components of a forum are people asking and people answering questions. most people come to a forum with a question, and start by playing the first role. many stay around hoping to help someone in the future with their question, if they can, just like someone else helped them earlier. without this second component, the forum isn''t much useful.

now, consider people answering questions. obviously, some know more and others know less. an easily observed tendency is that people who know more tend to have higher questions answered to questions asked ratio, and moreover, that they are generally more often correct. such people have an interest in helping other people learn something, troubleshoot their problems, and so on. instead of posting wild guesses, they would research information for the benefit of a single poster.

said knowledgeable people often see misleading and incorrect replies posted by people without much clue. often posters would pull authoritative claims out of thin air, knowing next to nothing about subject at hand. should wrong responses be corrected? as someone who is interested in helping others become better programmers, i say yes. others, whose worst nightmare is have their error pointed out to them, say no. they prefer to live in ignorance, and that''s fine by me; but when they take their ignorance out to other people, they become a pain. i spend time here to help people be better programmers, and these people do the opposite by posting incorrect information.

similarly, there are people who ask questions in the form close to "i copied this program from a web page/book cd/elsewhere, (optionally changed something,) and it doesn''t work. somebody fix it for me." while it''s obvious that providing such fix benefits the poster in the short run, in the long run nothing is achieved. thus the poster is told how to find a solution himself, with the hope that he will be able to solve similar problems in future himself, without asking others for help.

back to "don''t reply." should i give up on threads which contain false or misleading posts because someone might be offended by me correcting them? should i ignore beginners and let other beginners, who were more successful in pasting the code, paste their code into posts here and help the original poster with his pasting? would you like to receive incorrect facts as replies to your posts, that are not corrected by members who know for sure the falsehood of those facts, but are afraid of hurting someone''s ego?

receiving knowledgeable answers is a privilege, not a right. people who respond do so because they have some interest in that. killing this interest will leave you with a board of lower S:N ratio on the answer side, which means that when you have a question, you''ll get lower quality responses or no responses at all. do you really desire it?
And has any of this ego bashing and testosterone spraying helped the original poster in any way? I think not.
sjelkjd, YOU wasted everybody's time by posting "it sucks". All anybody is going to get from that response is the impression you are a jerk.

If you didn't like what he was doing, how about
1. Don't Respond
2. If you HAVE to respond, say something like (I'll practically quote you), "Please post in the "For Beginners" Forum - it is meant for you. And for the record, dumping a large volume of code and saying "what's wrong" isn't a very good attitude to have when asking for help. At the very least, state the symptoms of your problem."

Done and done (sorry, I'm bored at work :\).

[edited by - neonfaktory on February 10, 2003 6:06:30 PM]
weee!
quote:Original post by neonfaktory
sjelkjd, YOU wasted everybody''s time by posting "it sucks".

Let''s think about that. "it sucks" takes about 5 seconds to parse, analyze, and understand. It conveys a large amount of information in a small amount of words. If you really want to argue that the time it took you to read "it sucks" is such a huge waste of your time, go ahead. The real time waster is large code dumps and pointless moralizing.

quote: All anybody is going to get from that response is the impression you are a jerk.

I honestly don''t have a problem with that. If that''s the way you feel because of that post, great. I''d rather interact with people who aren''t hypersensitive and show a sense of levelheadedness and humor about these sorts of things.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement