EQ or UO?

Started by
14 comments, last by Buster 23 years, 11 months ago
EQ is $9.89 per month (US). Considering it comes out of 989 studios, it''s an easy pricing scheme to remember.

UO is Ultima Online, it''s also about $10 a month. Graphics are on par with Ultima VII.

Unless uunet or cerfnet is acting funny, I usually have no problems connecting to EQ and staying connecting. (My record was 16 straight hours of EQ. (It really *is* like crack)) So I''m guessing that your connection problems originate more with your own ISP rather than the EQ service.

In comparison, I usually have loads of problems connecting to my server of choice on UO (the Great Lakes server). One nice thing in comparison is that the servers for UO are located all across the world, in comparison with the EQ servers which are all based in the same place. And I can blame my connection problem with Great Lakes solely on the fact that my ISP does about 28 hops to get to the server.

Another advantage to UO is that Japanese have their own server (or is it two?). I don''t know about you, but I find that playing in a zone with 12 people who kill-steal and don''t understand it when you chew them out very very annoying. It''s about the only time when I resent the PvP flag system.
Advertisement
UO vs EQ
I played both... for a very long time.
EQ is an eye candy, without any depth of game play at all.
Basically you hit akey and you charecter begins swinging non stop, you hit another key and cast a spell or kick/bash your opponent. In EQ, you must group with other players to be able to kill anything over level 20, not to mention alot of start up time (getting a party organised..), as well as alot of downtime (meditation, healing, buffing etc..) There is no descent PvP (player vs player) combat in EQ.

UO (Ultima Online). Although it came out after Meridian 59 and Darksun Online (both were very poor games, buggy, unstable etc..), I would still call UO to be the father(mother) of all MMORPG (massive multi player online role playing games). UO came roughtly 3 years before EQ, however it still going strong, even with new eye candy games like EQ and AC(Asherons Call). UO has alot to offer to the players, it is the only game that actually gives meaning to virtual life, where players can own houses and castles, ride horses. The fact that a player can have his own house built and decorated as player wants makes a big difference (players can build furniture, craft all sorts of house parafenelia- anvils/forges/looms etc..). In UO you can choose to be a brave warrior or a mage slaying monsters, or you can choose to be a great smith, alchemist or a merchant, that runs many stores (yes you can do that too..) UO offers alot more to the players than any other game and thats why it kept me for nearly 3 years and I still refuse to cancel my account, even though I seldom play..

If I had to choose between the 3 current mmorpg (AC, UO, EQ) I would give UO the best vote by far!

PS: I havent played UO since Feb. 2000, got truely burned out. It took a big part of my life away! - silly game.

***Stand and Deliver***
***Stand and Deliver***
Well, I''ve played both (even helped write an emulator for UO) and I must say I like EQ better though both are kind of boring at times. Few comparative comments:

UO has cheat programs. Really nasty ones. I refuse to cheat, therefore I am inherently penalized. I have yet to see a working cheat program for EQ.
UO has very corrupt GM''s. Not just the one that made over 15k in real dollars on EBay selling items he made out of thin air, also the GM that deleted my husband''s house just so that his little buddies could place a tower. EQ has some stupid GM''s, but they are not, from what I''ve seen so far, corrupt.
UO has SERIOUS bugs. I can name at least 8 ways to crash the game out to windows. These were never fixed to my knowledge after about a year of existence (I asked a friend of mine who still plays to confirm). EQ has bugs but they actually bother to fix them in a timely fashion.
OSI (the people who run UO) do not actually bother to test their software before patching. Instead, they patch and try to fix the damage later. At one point, they had to backup to 3 days before the patch to fix the damage of a patch that caused items to decay approximately 1500 times faster than they were supposed to, and randomly jacked character stats to 32000 str, dex, or int. These problems had been evident on the test server but they decided to patch anyway. The only patch problems that I''ve seen with EQ are hardware related, and are fixed quickly... Verant can''t have every piece of hardware in every combination there is, unfortunately.
UO does not allow you to choose whether or not you wish to kill and be killed by other players. I happen to like helping people. I really don''t like healing someone and having them turn around and kill me because they are scum. I do some PVP in the form of guild wars every sunday (which are a total kick) but I am assured that I won''t be gang-banged by 5 punks with hyperlevelled cheated characters when I''m not expecting it.
I must admit I like the UO layout a little better, because EQ''s waving trees in Kunark make me nauseous. EQ is the first 3D game I''ve really liked.
I like the ability in UO to have houses, unfortunately, due to cheat programs and inherent bugs, they are not secure by any stretch of the imagination, even after many patches.

Just my 5 cents (inflation)
-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Fel - UO does have consetual PvP now. They also have a new area where Players can battle for control of the towns.

The next generation (The Third Age?) of UO, which is currently under development, should be a complete overhaul, from what I hear. It''s supposed to be 3D, have new monsters, skill system, etc...
However, this UO:Renaissance thing they''ve got going now is much better than before. I really enjoy it much more than I did a year ago when I first bought it.
Wow, OSI finally got a clue. Too bad I''m too involved in an EQ guild and a Nox battleclan to go back and play again *grin* Plus I gave my GM scribe to a friend of mine.
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Wow seems there is no defenite desision here. I''ve never played eq or ac, regretfully I wasted a lot of time in UO. The concept of an online world is a pretty cool idea, but so far I''ve not seen a good enough implemetation of it. It won''t be for another couple years till a game that makes me really apreciate it comes out.

UO was like a drug, I''ve played it off and on since the public beta (which my friend downloaded on his 28.8 and was kind enough to put on cd for me). I kept coming back to it becuase people would beg me to. Then when I would come back I would be dissapointed by the lack of fixes and improvements and these people who begged me to play would never be online when I am. I''m done with UO and I''m not gonna touch EQ or AC. I''ve broke the disk in half and canceled my account. I had a smith with 98.something smithing when i quit.

I found myself coming back to quake. FPS''s are pretty much the only games you can sit down to play for 30 mins. UO you have to log in, do stuff and log out. 10 mins or so of logging and such.

OneEyeLessThanNone

Best not to touch the stuff. Better to go get high on LSD and shake in a corner for 8 hours if you ask me. *shakes like a crack baby in the corner of a dark room*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement