Problem with D3D Texture Blending Cascade

Started by
2 comments, last by Eric 23 years, 11 months ago
Can anyone tell me what''s wrong with the following code? m_pd3dDevice->SetTexture( 0, terrTextures[ 0 ].m_pddsSurface ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTexture( 1, terrTextures[ 1 ].m_pddsSurface ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1 ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_BLENDDIFFUSEALPHA ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_DIFFUSE ); m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE ); Here''s what should be happening: In Stage 0, my 1st texture is rendered w/out any lighting. In Stage 1, my 1st and 2nd textures are combined using the diffuse lighting''s alpha. Basically the primitive fades from one texture at one end to the other texture at the other end. In Stage 2, diffuse lighting is applied. The code compiles and runs, but it doesn''t work as planned. Basically, only the diffuse lighting shows up. Since the diffuse color ranges from white to black, all my primitives just fade thru various ranges of gray. Neither of the textures show up in any way. Note: I experimented a little with other, similar setups. In stage 2, if I modulate a 3rd texture with "current", they are combined correctly. If I modulate a 3rd texture with diffuse, this also works. The problem seems to be combining "current" with diffuse. Though not shown in the code above, I''ve also tested return values on everything. Any advice is much appreciated
Advertisement
It seems to me that the code does what you want. Let me write down the formula for the final color

Color0 = Texture1
Color1 = Texture2*DiffuseAlpha + Color0*(1-DiffuseAlpha)
Color2 = Color1*DiffuseColor

Color = (Texture2*DiffuseAlpha + Texture1*(1-DiffuseAlpha))*DiffuseColor

This is what you wanted, right?

Are you running this in hardware or software mode? If hardware, I''m not sure your cards supports more than two texture stages. Most cards don''t, some don''t support more than one. Have you checked the device capabilities?

Try to disable texture stage 2 and see if the textures are faded correctly. If they aren''t then you probably have something else wrong.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

The results I described were from the RGB device, which had 8-stage capability. If I just combine the two textures (and don''t do a 3rd stage), they look correct.

Anyway, I didn''t want to get bogged down on this, so I just went ahead and used multi-pass instead, which works fine. Implementing the multi-pass in my terrain-render algorithm will actually be much easier, particular when I occasionally have to blend 3 textures. There aren''t many primitives that I need to blend w/ 2 or 3 textures, so the overall speed cost (vs. single-pass multi-texturing) should be trivial.

Thanks anyway, WitchLord, and thanks for the advice in my previous thread about using a VB -- I''m going to give that a shot today
I''ve been trying a similar method for my terrain. But actually, the RGB device only supports 2 blending stages. It''s the Reference Rasterizer that supports 8, but that is so slow it''s hardly even worth it. Also, most cards that do support multitexturing only support 2 stages, so looks like multipass is our only feasible solution for now :-(

Noah Adler
-bodisiw

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement