• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joegeek

BitBlt .vs. DirectDraw

This topic is 6911 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Forgive me, I''m new to the DirectX scene. What is the major differences between just using BitBlt, as apposed to DirectDraw? Thanks, Joe

Advertisement
DirectDraw is quite a wide range topic but I guess you mean what the differece between DirectDraw Blt and BitBlt.
The BitBlt is one of the GDI commands.
GDIs are slow relate to directdraw and the BitBlt dosn''t support
hardware acceration at all.

It''s claimed to be faster.

BitBlt, as many other Win32 APIs, do not access the display directly but has to pass thru'' a quite large amount of abstraction levels before accessing the hardware (i.e. videocard) level.

Obvously, this abstraction makes the graphic APIs too slow to be used in "real-time-graphic" application (such as games).

DirectDraw, as the other DirectX components, is able to access the hardware level (almost) directly. This makes Win32 applications fast and (almost) confrontable with their DOS ancestors.

Hope the be useful...

Bye,

Karmalaa

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!