• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knight24

Hasbro's Games.com

This topic is 6915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Oh no! Hasbro owns the web site www.games.com I guess anyone with ''games'' in their web page url is about to get sued. Take this as a warning: www.xgames3d.com www.webfootgames.com You are now in violation of US copyright and/or trademark laws.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
First you pay $1, then you put on your kneepads.

Actually, Hasbro has owned the games.com domain for a couple of years now. Kind of sucks since you''d assume you''d find online games at a site with a name like that. Or at least a place to buy any game that ever existed.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Did anyone hear that Hasbro is about to spin off games.com and Hasbro Interactive into their own seperate companies?

Does that mean Hasbro Interactive can no longer be supported by toy money?? (thank god if that''s true!).

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

Did anyone hear that Hasbro is about to spin off games.com and Hasbro Interactive into their own seperate companies?

Does that mean Hasbro Interactive can no longer be supported by toy money?? (thank god if that''s true!).

I''ve heard a couple people talking about that. I thought
that Hasbro Interactive was lossing money like crazy? So
how could they spin it off?

Hasbro Interactive is making plenty of money. They publisher Rollercoaster Tycoon, MechWarrior 3, Civilization 2, Worms Armageddon, Majesty, Birth of the Federation, Falcon 4, GunShip!, MechCommander, Nerf ArenaBlast, X-COM: Interceptor, anything else by Microprose, etc.

Consider this press release:

Who wouldn’t want to own their own amusement park? That playful invitation is just part of the charm – and success – of Hasbro Interactive’s ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON, the PC game that proved the most popular for all of 1999, based on units sold in North America and tracked by PC Data.

>> Hasbro Interactive is making plenty of money. <<

Actually they lost $53 mil. last year. They have made some good and some stupid moves, but for them to lose $53 mil. in a year in which they had some top 10 hits is amazing. If all of that was due to restructuring after they bought Microprose and Atari, that would be one thing. But it''s not.

As a HAS stockholder, I like their strategy with games.com, but that won''t be profitable for at least three years. I also like their purchase of Atari, but for the life of me I can''t see why they wanted that money sink-hole Microprose.

I also don''t like the fact that they have alienated so many developers, and I really don''t like the fact that they simply don''t publish good games. They are not putting their money into developing quality products. They believe that brand name and shelf space/promotion is everything. Well, they are important, but if your games suck, that eventually catches up to you.

As a shareholder, I view the overall direction of Hasbro is good. However, I think that Hasbro Interactive has to rethink some basic strategies to be successful long-term.

quote:
Original post by revolver
Hasbro Interactive is making plenty of money. They publisher Rollercoaster Tycoon, MechWarrior 3, Civilization 2, Worms Armageddon, Majesty, Birth of the Federation, Falcon 4, GunShip!, MechCommander, Nerf ArenaBlast, X-COM: Interceptor, anything else by Microprose, etc.

Revolver, there is a difference between net and gross
income. Hasbro''s gross is high, their net last year was,
amazingly, a loss.

So if only they could bring in more money than they spend,
THEN Hasbro would be profitable. In other words, it''s not
what you make, it''s what you keep (sorry to be cliche).
As a publically traded company, Hasbro''s financial statements
are public, you can look them up and see for yourself how
much money they are lossing. It''s a lot of money they lost!

There''s another problem with their ''reporting'' methods.
Hasbro, and others, report only the number of units that
are shipped, but not the *returns*. This includes all those
free CDs they bundle with their board games. Well, anyone
can give away millions of free CDs and end up at the top
of PC Data''s top selling publishers lists!

But the bottom line, with all the smoke and mirrors out of
the way, is their financial statements. And their financials
have not looked good lately. MVPsoft is probably right
about Hasbro looking good in the long term (at least the
toy business). But as for Hasbro Interactive, you can''t
bleed $53 million in losses forever.

Now, how could you end up lossing $53 million when you have
such hits as Civilization, etc.? It happens all the time.
Look at what happened with Riven...

Guest Anonymous Poster
...there is a difference between net and gross
income.

I understand the differences. ;] Admittedly, I didn''t know Hasbro was losing (or at least not that significantly)...but I was careful to say they were making a lot of money; I didn''t say they were profiting. ;]

I''m not sure how old Hasbro Interactive is (MVP?), but it seems they acquired Microprose one-and-a-half years ago. I''m not sure why they would be cutting such an annual loss with all of Microprose''s great franchises (Rollercoaster Tycoon, MechWarrior, Falcon 4, XCOM, Civilization, etc.). My guess is the fact that they published so many video game versions of their board games (HI did Risk 1, but Microprose did Risk 2)...I don''t know the statistics, but AFAIK they aren''t exactly the most profitable genre of games (same with TONKA and related children''s titles).

I suppose it''s funny to see two Hasbro titles on PC Data''s top-ten chart, but them still cutting a loss. ;]

How old is HI? Have they been consistantly losing? MVP, are they projecting a profitable year for 2000?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!