• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

massive x

help learning visual c++

This topic is 6911 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been coding in basic, pascal, and turbo c++ for some time now, but it was always in dos. I just started programming in windows. Borland Turbo C++ for windows was easy for me, but I''m completely lost while using microsoft visual c++. I wanted to know if someone can give me some internet resources or any advice to help me learn my way around not only the visual c++ environment, but windows programming in general. I''m using microsoft visual studio 6.0. Also, is visual c++ really that much better than turbo c++? What are the advantages/disadvantages of either of these two.

Advertisement
Well, actually, i prefer Visual C++ over Turbo C++ because basically Visual C++ is in windows, and its object-oriented. This has lots of advantages, one being its easier to visualize problems and solutions if they are though of as objects. Visual C++ also has a whole bunch of neat features, like ClassView, which lets you easily manage and create new views, and some other things i like. AND you can switch between Release and Debug settings when you compile, AND Visual C++ has a debugger built into it, AND its in windows, so you have all those nifty Windows advantages. I know its confusing (I used both TC++ and VC++, and it was a hard switch), but you just have to play around with it and it''ll get easier.

In all, you should switch to Windows programming.

-----------------------------------------------------------
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms
ISDN - It Still Does Nothing
APPLE - Arrogance Produces Profit-Losing Entity
SCSI - System Can't See It
DOS - Defunct Operating System
BASIC - Bill's Attempt to Seize Industry Control
IBM - I Blame Microsoft
DEC - Do Expect Cuts
CD-ROM - Consumer Device, Rendered Obsolete in Months
OS/2 - Obsolete Soon, Too.
WWW - World Wide Wait
MACINTOSH - Most Applications Crash; If Not, The Operating System Hangs

The only thing that TC has over VC++ is the ability to do VGA programming. VC++ is the best, auto-tabbing, pop-up class windows, a resource window..etc, it rox.

-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com

The first time i used VC++ it was kinda hard for me to program in it. but then i figured why it was that hard: because i was looking for more complicated ways to make my project. programming in VC++ is way simpler than you cna think.
for examples check msdn.microsoft.com

- pouya

I did the same thing just recently, switching from TC++ to VC++. There are some very good aspects to VC++. If you want to get started with windows programming I reccommend getting a book. Also, sites like www.cpp-programming.com have some pretty good tutorials.

The best way to learn the VC++ environment is to just make simple programs like you did when you were first learning. Then you can figure out how to use projects, build, run etc.

Good luck!

- Daniel
my homepage

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!