• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mustaukko

Isometric height projection

This topic is 6910 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm a comp student from finland, and I have a problem. Me and my friends are starting to make a game(this seems to be a bad pattern.. , and as a trainer we're making a bunch of smaller games to test different aspects. I'm now making a game to test few of the requirements for the iso-system we're about to use, and I have faced a real bugger. Height projection. I first took and used a pure tile based system, where a tile had it's height, this back fired in not-so-smooth graphics, as we do not fancy our terrains to look like staircases.. 3d projection is a possibility but not a wanted one, as I not very experienced in it, and because the final product should be able to have some hundred creatures in a crowdy view, and I'd like to see a 3d engine do that.. I've been thinking of different approaches to the matter, and came up with a thought of some sort of a polygon field, where these polygons could be shaded automagically hence producing shading.. Just a thought. Has anybody got experience of this sort of shit? If you're to aswer with code, use either c++, java or pseudo. mustaukko Edited by - mustaukko on 5/17/00 7:02:24 AM

Advertisement
well.. the most common approach is to model the tiles as 3d surfaces.. either in a 3d modelling package which is easier and which was used in a recent major commercial isometric RPG i worked on that shall remain nameless, or drawing the surface and then drawing a heightmap for it, which is more difficult since the tile has an isometric view and the heightmap has to be top-down.

-goltrpoat

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

This small piece of action I'm testing my theories on is a simple snowfight game, where neighbourghood kids are fighting one another .. "Die Stevensson!!" ;p
So don't need a lot of textures, all I need is a simple shading system, with optional feature of snow depletion.. I'd be a good feature, if when the all the snow has been thrown out, there'd be a tennis racket underneath.. It'd give that die stevensson a good backing.
Snowy fields tend to be white and shadows blue, so that's why I have very little need for texturizing my game field.
If you can advice me to the right direction, I'll find out a way to calculate height in given spot..
See, my idea has been that if there is a grid, say 12 pixels apart, and there is a height for each, I can calculate height for sprites using simple mathematics knowing their position..

mustaukko

Edited by - mustaukko on May 17, 2000 8:05:44 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!