Base of 3d engine complete, what next?

Started by
8 comments, last by voodoo 23 years, 11 months ago
I have written the base of my 3d engine in opengl for windows, meaning... I create a window setup GL and then using GL commands put triangles on screen, whats next? I want my game engine to be able to do terrain, but at the same time some indoor stuuf just in case needed. Should I start of with a terrain system, character system or what?? And please do not point me to thoses articles written. Last time I read one of those I had a brain meltdown. I am pretty good at programming, I know my c/c++ fairly well. Keep In mind I hav no classes or structures setup for nothing.
Hardcore Until The End.
Advertisement
If the articles make no sense to you yet, you are not ready to start work on a 3D engine. You''re better off starting simple things like rotating cubes, and figuring them out COMPLETELY, why they work, how they work, what you can tweak...

( Not "Oh I managed to compile NeHe''s Tutorial Example so I am now an expert 3D programmer ).

Computer graphics is a pretty complex subject, and it takes a while to get a grip on. Start slow.

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!

~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
MadKeithV: Did you draw that picture? It''s really cool.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I have done the bassics like matrix math and i have built a crued demo of rotating lines in 3d using turbo c++.

Just that sometimes docs plaster some pretty screwed up terms!

Anyways somebody please answer my questions and stop making remarks!
Hardcore Until The End.
You could start your next phase by designing how your systems are going to fit together - it might be a good idea to do this since it''s a shit to write the rendering architecture and then the animation system; finding that you want to do some kind of object morphing that your rendering part doesn''t allow for.
Not that that''s ever happened to me.
But seriously; it''s probably a good idea to scribble down some ideas of data structures, and how they will interface.
But only if you think your ready for it.
I use C++, so when I design it''s all the class methods working together that bogs me down sometimes.

Take it easy, avoid a brainmelt.

-Mezz
You won''t get it perfect the first time, so don''t try. Don''t be afraid to re-write, rip out and throw away stuff. They best way to learn is to try something.
Still my question is not answered

I know about the consequences of trial and error trust me!

But nobody has told me where to start, terrain , char system, sound anything????

I aiming for a terrain bassed engine. That will give you a clue to where I wan to go.
Hardcore Until The End.
uh, beavis, Mezza answered your question. If you don''t want comments, don''t post questions.

You are asking for something that has no definative starting place. Do you want your characters based around the terrain engine or the terrain engine around the characters?

This is more a design issue then where to start coding. How bout all the structures for all said systems? That is what I typically do. layout all the components, generate the strucutres, and then start on each sub-system''s specifics.

As to where to start when all the structure is done, where-ever the hell you want! There is no "if-you-don''t-start-here-you-are-doomed" clause.

A good place to get a grasp of some of the "nice to have" subsystems is the Quake 1 source. You can get a good start on how to implement: Console, key bindings, cvars, commands, memory management, etc. But again, these are just parts, how you want to glue them together is your deal. But usually you write alot of these "once" and re-use them. This is def. nice when you want to try new "engines" or something.
Doods, I know the bassics of some 3d I have built a rotating cube, using good old turbo in the dos days....

There is a mention of do I want to build a terrain arround my charecters or my charecters around my terrain, well I want to aime for a terrain bassed engine in 3d person more or less thats all! NOw one you guys is suposed to well, your suposed to make your terrain system using this type of technique And the I all go off reading all kinds of screwed up articles and try to figure it out!
Hardcore Until The End.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement