• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bintangku

how about

This topic is 6917 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi...... just attracted with kate....so I wonder how will game programmer code some game in linux using opengl or directX (if somebody try to port it to linux)....nothing but i just want to see peoples opinion about linux in game programming sorry for my poor english

Advertisement
DirectX hasn''t been ported for Linux, and I believe that this is the reason why OpenGL is becoming even bigger "thing" all the time; Linux users give full support for OPENGL API. Basically OPENGL programming isn''t that much different on Linux, atleast thats what I believe. For an example, if you code something with Allegro, you can usually compile the same code in both, Dos and Linux version.
I''m going to move for a linux... sounds so much more fun

See, in my opinion newbie Linux user needs sportmind ---> I remember how I used to collect Ice Hockey cards when I was like 10 years, and then my friends at my "second home" (at other city) were laffing at me, because I didn''t collect Magic The Gathering cards that were so much cooler (well, because you become addict player so easily ... Finally I sold all my Ice Hockey cards, and started playing MTG, and I played that game for about 3-4 years! And AHHH! I have to say that "oooboy, those years were lots of fun "

Well, with this I mean that when I''m going to change for Linux, I will have this kind of "refreshing" feeling again

Hi,
I am actually coding a game under linux, that uses SDL & OpenGL APIs.
The code compiles as well with gcc under linux, or with VC++6 under windows, without ANY change.
Linux can be well used as a game-developpement platform, to make portable games.

We don''t have machines running with Linux at Rarebyte at the moment, but we are writing our 3d game Paradigm in C++ and we are using OpenGL for rendering, so that we can port it to Linux later without problems.

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!