Classifying programming words

Started by
28 comments, last by Ronny 23 years, 10 months ago
Yes, you would say that I should create a new category "Markup languages"? But what are other "Markup languages"?

Thank you very much!
Advertisement
A couple other markup languages: XML, VRML (They are separate from HTML, you don''t need the /''s)
Java and java-script are separate things, although similarly named. Put them separately. java-script is and interpreted script language and Java is a compiled language that compiles into portable byte-code which is then interpreted.
At first, thank you very much for your answers.

That''s crazy because I only want to classify some programming thing into categories, but it seems, that I had to create for many things own categories but I need categories in which many words belong.

Because I can''t create a extra category for HTML, XML, VRML like markup languages and additional a category like script languages for java-script or Perl. I need a category which is able to usefor all these words which classify in "programming languages".

So maybe it is possible to use this category (languages)also for HTML and java-script?

It would be very nice if you can help me again.

With kind regards!

Why can''t you make a new category for markup languages? and where will you put them? Putting them with Programming Languages is just wrong. At least take the word "programming" out of the category if you''re going to do that. And why are you classifying all these anyway?

"The world isn't run by weapons anymore; or energy, or money; it's run by little ones and zeroes, little bits of data -- it's all just electrons."
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
1. Thank you, so if I would create category "languages" it would be possible to classify HTML and java-script in this category?

2. Would you recommend a category like "compilers/interpreters/languages", so it would be the easiest way to solve much problems?

I need this for a project for my studies and thank you very much that you help me so engaged.

With kind regards?
Yes, if you changed the name to languages, HTML would fit.

I wouldn''t recommend mixing languages, interpreters and compilers in the same category. That would be like having a noun category, an adjective category and then a adverb/verb category. It just doesn''t make much sense to lump them together.
Ok, but the category languages/interpretes is possible, or not?

Sorry, but I have again a question concerning the topic: interfaces - APIs, again:

I think a API is a interface - in addition API = Application Programming ''Interface". So, would it be a mistake if there would be a category APIs beside a category interfaces, or not?
For example would you say that DirectX is a kind of interface?

Thank you very much for you help!
Hello,

please give me a last answer:

Can I use for all these words the category "Software Interfaces"? Is that correct?

I would be very pleased about an answer!

By, Ronny!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement