• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kosh

DirectX vs Win32

This topic is 6915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi everyone, what I dont get is that M$ have created this wonderful API called DirectX, which does graphics(2d and 3d), input, sound and networking. Then, in win32, they have graphics(2d only, I think), input, sound and networking. Why didnt they just implement the directx stuff and then virtualise the win32 stuff implementing it using directx, wouldnt that be easier, smaller, more convienient and half a dozen other better quotes I can think of? Why dont they do this, get rid of the bits in win32 that are slower and have done with it, surely this would make maintainance of windows easier as well, it MIGHT even get rid of some bugs that exist in one API but not the other, but then again, it might put DX bugs into main windows tree what does everyone think about this? kosh

Advertisement
Hmm...ok I''m going to take a shot at this.

DirectX was created for games in mind.They were optimised for that reason.Take the networking for example.I don''t think that DirectPlay has the functionality or the security of the Win32 networking API.

What I''m trying to say is that the Win32 API is a hundred times bigger than the DirectX API. (I should know,I have the Windows 98 programmers hand book.Over 2000 pages long)And it gives more functionality and control than that of DirectX.You have to take it from another perspective here. Take a look at the win32 API and you''ll see what I mean

-----------------
www.DigitalSV.com

DirectX was written FOR Win32, and it actually uses parts of that library if I''m not mistaken. It has an entirely different purpose.
And while there are many different versions of DirectX, Win32 is a VERY fixed standard by now.

Just imagine what hell it would be if all of a sudden Win32 was "updated" every few months.. NOOOOOO!!!

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!

~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**

The biggest reason Win32 wasn''t written using DX was that DX wasn''t written until after Win32 already existed. The first version of DX didn''t come out until 4-6 months after Windows 95 came out (though I''m not sure about the exact timing) and Windows 95 was really the first version of Win32.

Mark Fassett
Laughing Dragon Entertainment
http://www.laughing-dragon.com

If I''m not mistaken, they do use DirectX in Win98 and some updated win95 stuff. Use media player, it has the option of playing sounds through the default window api and direct sound. When you select the default windows api, it can only play one file at a time, when you select the DirectSound version, you could open 20 copies of media player all playing different media files and all be happy. I think they also use DirectDraw for video streaming, and video''s and stuff? But not sure about this, but I am sure they use it in many DVD players.
It is used sort of, but as someone said above the window api for networking especially is much more comprehensive with 128 bit security and all sorts of stuff you''d never care about in a game. As far as input, before DX, I used to use windows API for input and never had any problems with speed, so there not bad at all.
- Ben

Most windows apps (like Word) don''t need to run at 60 frames/sec. Your 3rd person shooter does. So for Word, just use the API calls. For the game, you need the extra stuff.

Uhm, Windows was not created for games, so the functionality of the Win32 API is more diversified. If you want Windows written specifically for games, wait and buy an X-Box

What is a man without goals? A dead man.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!