Win32 vs. Linux Development

Started by
17 comments, last by rtr1129 23 years, 11 months ago
Commercial software is alive and well on Linux. Just because the OS is GPL''d doesn''t mean that everything runs on it is required to be GPL''d as well. In fact many of the tools of FSF are engineered specifically so that the resulting output can be part of commercial software. Ex: look at Bison.

Many commercial games come to Linux. Quake 3 and Civilization: Call to Power are probably the best known right now. But also less known games like Heavy Gear II or Heros of Might and Magic 3 are available for Linux as well.

And if you argue that Linux is a communist OS, you might as well argue that Windows is Nazi OS.

Strict rules on GUI look-and-feel guidelines -- personal appearance rules under Nazi Germany.
Makes it difficult for targetted software companies to be viable on their platform (Quicktime and Netscape ring a bell to anyone?) -- persecution of Jews, Gypsies and other non-Aryan races.

And much like Nazi Germany, just because they aren''t out to get you now, it doesn''t mean they won''t be out to get you later.
Advertisement
I think people are missing the point here. Program for whatever OS you feel you need to program for. Win32 has it''s advantages and disadvantages, as does Linux. I personally like both. Most of the time I''m in a Win32 evironment, but every once in a while a project comes up that needs to be programmed in a Unix like environment. If for whatever reason you don''t like win32, then don''t use it. But certainly don''t bash the people who do.
Windows is made by the communist company.

"Communist society" is characterized as control everything by single group.

So as the monopoly Windows communist.

No cometition, that is the communist!
No competition, that is the communist!
You know, I thought we were talking software here...
anyway, I think that the risk for linux is that of running into anarky I fear that if for some reason linux gains weight, there will start to appear variants, wich might be exploited/provocked by hardware makers to turn them into niches where thay can keep consumers trapped...

or maybe it''s just the memories of the early nineties and their my platform is better (later substituted with standards are great) that still haunt me.
Don''t take this badly, I don''t care if it is Windows , linux, or watever, my ideal would be a standardised (able to evolve, by consensus, or a technical commitee between hardware maker/software makers) platform, including hardware, operating system, and common file formats
it''s the black box theory, you don''t have to worry how it''s done as long as it obeys the protocols. And competition would rage between software hardware makers, since direct comparison of capabilities would become possible.
Did i make any logic of myself?
Actually, no competition is a characteristic of a monopoly, communism is when all the money goes to the ''people'', well, supposedly anyway. No, neither is communist,you will never see your money if you buy Windows, and Linux is free. Windows may be a Neo-Nazi, but it certainly isn''t communist. I still support Linux, and by the way, I certainly like a standard interface, although windows is definitley not standard. Ever go to the Interface hall of shame? now if i could only find that url...
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
-------------- ENG3D said ----------------------
Linux is not a multimedia friendly... I buy a new HW, i install (if allowed) in linux (the HW have the drivers for win, but not for linux). So i search for a compatible drivers.. The drivers found is not use the HW to full percent or with a many bugs.
So, ready to programming.... opengl (graphics) ok (but it''s same of win), sound(stardard, not a 3d of other caps.), joystick (stardard, not force feedback and more), net (of course, unix)... movie (avi, mpg, mov... not as easy!), price in market (estimated $0 for many apps./games for Linux, so what''s is the bussiness??), design 3d (3dstudio???), design 2d (Corel Linux, stop counting), design sound (stardard, or translate sound from win), database and another data manager (stardard "fopen"), install stuff (??). Programming code (Ansi C, better of VC++?? = NOPE!!, not a object code), Programming share code (5+ years of many free code of VC++ (for windows).
-------------- ENG3D said ----------------------

ENG3D:
To respond to the part where you said that Ansi C is better than VC++, well, You should learn a bit more about coding... 5+ years isn''t much to prove anything.. More than 10 Years following the ANSI C standard of programming is indeed far more better than object code. Object codes tend to be harder to debug.
-----------

RTR1129:
To respond to the question at hand, yes, there is a point to programming a game in Linux. Ok, for now, the market isn''t big but many companies are starting to port their games to Linux. Also, thanks to Corel, Borland/Inprise is porting it''s Delphi / C++ Builder combined into one big project for Visual Developpement. You will therefore see more companies using Linux as a dev. Platform. Therefore, a bigger market. More developpers and more games... Yes, you heard right. More Games.... ( as proof also that there are alot of people that are dual booting linux/windows, I work for an ISP and about 1/2 of my customers are dual, triple and quadruple booting Linux with other OSs. Anyhow, this is my point...

I will always stand before a good product...

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
Two Guys Soft
[Cyberdrek | ]
-------- I SAID ----------
where you said that Ansi C is better than VC++,
--------------------------

What I actually meant was about the part where you said that Ansi C isn''t better than VC++....

( sorry guys )...

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
Two Guys Soft
[Cyberdrek | ]
alexmoura: Standards would be great, but that isn''t going to happen until Microsoft is toppled (which is probably never). Microsoft''s ENTIRE buisness model revolves around keeping their system as closed as posible. If people could easily use the same file formats, hardware drivers, ....., you would instantly see MS lose a huge amount of its market share (though it would probably still be in the lead).

I hope Linux can keep evolving, because I still think it isn''t very multimedia friendly. But I feel that for desktop computing, BeOS is the best alternative to Windows. With a little more time and effort, I think it can catch on in a big way.

Rock

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement