How much can you earn by selling a shareware game ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Prosper/LOADED 23 years, 11 months ago
I wonder how much you can earn by selling a shareware game. Let''s say you sell it $25 ant it''s nearly as good as a commercial one. Are shareware a viable place to start ? Prosper / LOADED corporation
Advertisement
It completely depends on quality of game and advertisement. Shareware would be a good way to start your game production if you don''t have:

a) a really good product
b) lots of $
c) cheap-as-hell distributor

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Even though they make Mac games, Ambrosia is a great example of this. One really great game, Escape Velocity, got them started, and now they''re a huge Mac shareware company.
My Geekcode: "GCS d s: a14 C++$ P+(++) L+ E-- W+++$ K- w++(+++) O---- M-- Y-- PGP- t XR- tv+ b++ DI+(+++) D- G e* h!"Decode my geekcode!Geekcode.com
Visit our web site:Asylum Entertainment
Let''s assume that the game is not an excellent one. It is not Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament. It''s just quite a good game. The kind of game fun to play but not worth the usual commercial price (about $55 in France).

The advertising would be light : there would be only ads on the internet and the game would be sent to all majors video games magazines.

The real question is : can you earn enough money to live (buy food, rent a room, etc...) selling such games ???

Prosper / LOADED corporation
As long as you''re serious about what you do, I think you can do pretty well selling shareware. Take a look at Spiderweb Software (www.spidweb.com), I really like their games and they''re a lot cheaper than most stuff you can find on a shelf these days.
Keep in mind, however, that they do lots of advertising for their games. You can''t just upload your game(s) to a server or two and think that the cash will start raining from the sky, you have to let people know it exists.
---Mikael Lax

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement