Game job and future...

Started by
9 comments, last by Zeighter 23 years, 11 months ago
I wonder little about The Game Industries... I`ve have that the Game Industry did make more money under 1999 than Hollywood. But what I have seen about the Game Companys, are that is is just about 2/10 companies that gets big and earn some money, I don`t mean companies like Westwood and Idsoftware, companies that are a bit smaller, beacuse it is many of them that has to work like 14 hours a day and get really bad paid to like 1500-2000 $ If you work so much and are interested then you could get like 5000 - 7000$ a month... Can you get good paid on a smaller game company ? Is the Industry going forward ? Is it going to grow REALLY big.. /Zeighter
Advertisement
Ummm. Yes.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
No its not, the industry is chock full of nutheads who are hoping to profit and become popular. The only reason the early games succeeded as they did is because of the passion and development effort people used to put in them. Now every kiddie on the block has his own game design project and its just too hard to tell the wheat from the chaff.

You have to learn how to take a lot of crap if you want to survive this industry. And put those world domination dreams on hold for now.

Ummm, no, then.

That was awfully pessimistic of you, anonymous poster. Don''t you think this large gathering of would-be game developers might be offended by your naysaying? Not that I don''t agree with you, but why wirte it here, where no one will listen?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Actually I agree with the anonymous, me being a would-be.

It´s better to be realistic about yourself and your chances than running into every wall you can find.

"Pessimist is just a word the Optimists use for Realists"
Sigh.
Every now and then, some disillusioned person appears on this board and tries to knock some sense into people''s heads. I used to not listen and not bother. But now, it gets really depressing to see that so many game companies are struggling to be alive. This in turn means that I won''t be able to start that game company when I leave College after all.

========================================================
If something sounds stupid but works, it's not stupid
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
I think that when one gets into this industry they should get it very clear that its no easy task to get to the top.
The struggle is long and hard, and being great at game programming doesn''t happen over night. However, if you work really hard and ambitious, and - most importantly - NEVER give up, nothing can stop you. Have faith in yourself and good things will come your way! This keeps me going day by day.

I am going into an entirely different career field, but I have wondered about the question you asked. My take on it is that success is largely a result of chance. I would prefer to go into another career field that offers more dependable rewards, and do game stuff as a hobby or side job. I think designing games would be a lot more fun when you aren''t worrying about if your newest idea will put food on the table. I''m sure many will disagree with me, but I think you can become a really good programmer or whatever without making it your only goal.
It''s pretty easy to figure out which companies pay well.

They''re the ones on the main hall(s) of E3.

The bigger and better the booth, the higher the payscale is bound to be.

Big, expensive booth with flashy displays, free booze = Nintendo. High pay scale? Almost certainly.

Smaller, cheapish looking booth with no swag = 3do. High pay scale? Not likely.

Tiny uninteresting looking booth in Kentia hall = nonameco
High pay scale? Beats flipping burgers, maybe.

$0.02
I''m currently making a Living as a Visual Foxpro Developer. For those who don''t know what Vis Foxpro is, it is a Data base development language. Very powerful tool and under advertised by M$. The Minus side is there are few jobs for it,Plus side is the jobs there are pay well.

I''m 23 and on £17K pa, I''ve just been offered one position for £35K pa and a contracting job for £33/h . I''ve turnned both down. Mad? a little. But the jobs where in Northampton (England), which has the worst case of Small town Mentality in the world (and my home town, from which i have escaped!).

The point I''m trying to make is I know I could make a LOT more money an aweful lot quicker if I stayed doing database. But I don''t want to. Databases are what unimaginative people do with computer, they are dull. My parter asked "what is the difference, you''ll still be programming?"

It''s not money or glory (While both would be and added bonus) it''s self esteem. Game Programming is an artistic thing. No body has ever said "Wow! what a great Stock control system".

In the back of Edge magazine there are 20+ pages of jobs for game programmers. I (and I''m not alone here) think were entering a new age of entertainment. A lot of those jobs where for doing games on Mobile Phones and TV top Boxes. There is going to be a lot of Games similar to the Classics of the 80''s and early 90''s because of limitations.

My skills are at least a year away from being any where near sellable, but I know what I want to be doing. So I learn and practise. As long as I earn enough to live I don''t care where the game ends up.

What else do you need; besides a miricle.
Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
What else do you need; besides a miricle.Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement